£500 Road Bike with Disc Brakes?

adri123
adri123 Posts: 32
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

Looking for a road bike but after having an MTB with disc brakes I'd quite like to have them on the road bike too.

Is it possible to get? And for around £500?

Thanks in Advance.

Adri

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm not sure they've made it down to this price point. I suspect your best bet is to look for a secondhand CX bike like the Boardman CX.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cenkee
    cenkee Posts: 71
    45596711.jpg
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    I bought a Norco indie drop with Sora and Hayes disc brakes for £480 last year (actually, Evans refunded me £75 due to the bike being slightly damaged upon delivery) so they are sometimes available. These or the Kona Dew Drop should be pretty inexpensive if found second hand but you are not going to be winning any races on them... :D
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Just to state I have a CF road bike with Ultgera rim brakes and a CDF with Hayes discs. My Ultegra brakes are so much better than the disc brakes!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I think the closest to what you want is Fuji or Norco at Evans, Revolution bikes at Edinburgh Coop and one of the Verenti bikes at Wiggle. Might a bit over 500 though unless you get a good discount.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Around £500? Well, the cheapest Boardman CX is £599. Look for a 10% code and that takes it down to £540. Just find a mate with a British Cycling voucher. You can even, sometimes, add those to any offers Halfords have on.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    Wiggle also has the Verenti substance, which is a Reynolds steel cyclocross style bike with Avid BB5 discs. The reviews on the site are very good - it gets an overall score of 4.5/5 and the only seems to be one negative review out of 13. It retails for £600 but at the Wiggle British Cycling shop you get an automatic 12% discount which brings the price quite close to your budget. Check the geometry though...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    solboy10 wrote:
    Just to state I have a CF road bike with Ultgera rim brakes and a CDF with Hayes discs. My Ultegra brakes are so much better than the disc brakes!

It's hardly a like-for-like comparison though: a CF bike with high-end rim brakes vs a heavy steel bike with cheap mechanical discs (probably badly adjusted). I have a Scott Foil Team Issue with Ultegra rim brakes and a Volagi Liscio (disc braked CF road bike) with a TRP HyRd on the front/BB7 on the rear. The Volagi destroys the Foil in braking performance. I descended Alpe D'Huez 6 times last week on the Volagi and outbraked everybody (despite my 85kg bulk). Seriously, there's no comparison between the two BEFORE you add rain into the mix. The only downside to discs is the 200g weight penalty (and, if you're being fussy, the potential for braking noise)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Yep. Similarly I have SRAM Red and the TRP Hy Rd.

The Red are lovely but nowhere near as good as the Trp's. And, as you say, that's just in the dry.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Jamis Nova Sport at Evans - I've used one for commuting over the past year+ and it's been pretty decent. Usual consumables been replaced plus new wheels (hubs just got too loose to deal with by regular re-greasing) plus new headset this past weekend. Fitted with full guards it's fine given it is 8 speed, not light but copes ok with my 100+mile weekly commute. Also the Tekro Lyra calipers get a bad rep but they were fine although I sourced a s/h Avid BB7 (just for the front) a few months ago which is better but not hugely on the braking power stakes more on the adjustment side.

Just checked - the Jamis Nova Sport at Evans is OVER the £500 mark, £520 to be precise but I still think it is worth serious consideration.