DA C24 -> RS81 C50....lunacy?

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
As subject?!

I'm aware the RS81 C50 rims are the same as the DA C50 rims (as the C24 DA vs RS81 are) hence are the DA C50 really worth the extra £350-400 as the weight saving is at the hub.

Has anyone gone from DA or RS C24's to DA or RS C50's and can give me a comparison or there thoughts?
I ride a whole mix of terrain and wondering if i'd miss the lighter C24 rims.
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The DA hubs are the best thing about the wheels, but I think you're crazy to buy factory wheels when you can get handbuilts with DA hubs for under £600.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • duckson
    But the £600 handbuilts would be a shallow profile rim, no?
    Cheers, Stu
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've used both the C24s and the C50 and I preferred the 24s. The 50s were just too much of a handful in windy conditions. They looked cool though.

AFAIK, the main different in the hub is the alu axle in the DA hubs. Last weekend I took apart a DA C24 hub and a RS80 hub and that was the only difference I noticed. Maybe the freehub is ti on the DA hub...? Anyway, it was only weight differences.

Having said that, the RS80 wheel had suffered a few spoke breakages... so it wasn't all rosie.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • duckson
    Was this the old or new shape C50 rim?
    Cheers, Stu