Canyon Ultimate CF SLX decisions

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I had a crash on my Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 Di2 (2013 model) recently, and am optimistic of an insurance payout as the bike is a write-off (wheel damage, rear electronic derailleur wrecked, large crack right through the left hand chain stay etc).

I have had the bike a little over a year and love it. I was initially really hesitant about choosing the Ultegra Di2 model over the mech DA model (the 8.0), but have really enjoyed using the Di2 - it has been faultless, if a bit ugly.

Now I am facing the same decision again - do I go for Ultegra Di2 or mech DA9000? From what I have read, mech DA is flawless and offers Di2-esque shifting without the electronics, plus it is feather light. The rest of the DA group set is obviously a step up too - in particular, the braking, which I understand is brilliant.

Grateful for any thoughts. To make matters more complicated, the Ultegra Di2 model is now out of stock in my size (whereas the DA model is available within a couple of weeks). I could potentially buy the mech Ultegra version, separately source the Di2 kit and sell the un-used mech Ultegra kit. That seems a hassle though, and I'd end up spending what the DA model costs so no saving there. I must admit that, whilst I have loved using the Di2, given the amazing DA9000 reviews and the opportunity once again to own a top-of-the-range bit of kit, I am pretty tempted to give the DA a go.

Alternatively, if there are any other bargains to be had at or around the £3k mark, I'd be grateful to hear. I've found a Cannondale Supersix Evo with Ultegra Di2 at £2600, but I'm not sure about Cannondale's sizing (Canyon's size Small fits perfectly and I worry a Cannondale 54 (the smallest in stock) might be a touch big, hence I've ruled it out for now).

Cheers

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Bear in mind that if you stick with Ultegra you'll be moving from the 6700 to 6800 series which incorporates the same shifting and braking improvements introduced with DuraAce 9000. I've got it on my new Canyon and it's great so far. All reviews I've seen compare it favorably with DuraAce 9000.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The aesthetics of the 6870 mechs have improved considerably.

In 5 years time, electronic will be the norm.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    Thanks for the replies so far. I think if the Di2 model was in stock I'd just go for that, but it isn't, which complicates things.

Thinking about it, I could possibly try and get hold of a replacement frame and then add 6800 Di2, which includes internal battery mounting etc, right? I'd have to buy a new wheelset though as none of my existing wheels (trashed or untrashed!) are 11-spd compatible.

How much hassle is it to fix a complete groupset? Never done it before. Assume a decent mechanic might take, what, 3-5 hours?
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    .... large crack right through the left hand chain stay etc).

Do you have a photo of that you could post ? Curious to see how it failed.
  • Oi Oi
    Oi Oi Posts: 1
    Finally remembered my username to log in.. so now able to post!
    Anyway..
    Bear in mind if you went with the DA9000 bike you can't 'upgrade' to Di2 as the Canyon frames are different.
    You'll only regret not staying with Di2, so stick with it - as the whole bike is sold out, I'd go for the replacement frame (you'd get one cheaper with the Canyon crash replacement programme) and get the other bits to make up a new bike. A bit of a faff, bit 'exciting' shopping sourcing the other bits, and a decent bike shop will have no trouble doing the build for you.
    You could also repair your exisitng frame if you want. I've got a friend in Somerset who is a carbon moulder and has repaired a few bikes lately (all Cervelo for some reason!!)