Which Saddle Pack?

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I've always used the Bontrager Pro Pack clip on (size large), but it seems every 6 months the zip wears out and eventually fails resulting in a new pack being bought....

bntr_proqc_09_m.jpg

I tried a different pack, but soon realised it had a harsh velcro strap that went around the seat tube and wore a hole in my bib shorts which I wasn't impressed about.

I like a large pack so I can fit a spare tube, wallet, keys, levers & multi-tool, I don't really like having those items in jersey pockets, I prefer to keep them free for cereal bars etc...

Any recommendations?

Comments

• ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I've just binned two of those at the weekend. Both with failed zips. No suggestions though!
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Topeak Aero wedge?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I had a Wilkinson's saddle bag that was fairly cavernous that lasted for about 5 years before the handle for the zip broke off- for <£5 it has very good innings.
    I'm currently on a small Topeak aero wedge for normal use, which can take my tools without problem, but probably not a wallet.
    I also recently acquired a n Ortilieb 'micro' saddle bag which has roll closure, and easily has as much space as the Topeak, if not more, plus they do much larger sizes. You won't have a problem from velcro with those, and they seem very well put together and fully waterproof without breaking the bank. I'm pretty sure mine came with a 5 year warranty, but I must admit I've lost the card for now!
  • pete8uk
    pete8uk Posts: 63
    I've had my Lezyne Caddy (Medium) for nearly a year, both the zip and the quick release work as new. Holds two inner tubes, a small multi tool, co2 pump.... but not allot else. Although the inner pocket/sleeves help with keeping a few extra bits (e.g. emergency patches)

Doesn't attach to seat post, so no problems there. Not the cheapest, but looks about as good as a saddle bag can (IMHO!)
    Weekend: Orbea Orca SLi2, Shimano Dura Ace C50s & Conti GP4000s
    Week: Boardman CX Team, Shimano RX31s & Conti Gatorskin Hardshells
    Twitter: @pete8uk, Strava: 1277229
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There's always the 'none at all approach'. I've just replaced the stuff in the background (over winter kept in a tool bottle but in a saddle bag in the summer months when I need both cages for water) with the items in the foreground which happily go in a jersey pocket along with two inner tubes, phone, money, gels and maybe a windproof jacket and armwarmers etc depending on weather.

Basically, it is a Leyzne Puncture repair kit (alloy case with tyre levers for caps) and a Planet X Jobsworth mini multi-tool (both of which fit in a small Leyzne Caddy Sack along with my cash). Not completely convinced about the multi tool but I lose no sleep about it on club rides where alternatives will always be at hand. Might go for a tool with a little more sophistication if I was riding alone.

P1000922ed_zpsb48d619d.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I have the Topeak on all my bikes and they are pretty good.

I`ve removed the one on my road bike though, as I cant bring mesell to bolt it to my Carbon Paradigm saddle.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • mjf1017
    mjf1017 Posts: 48
    I have had a medium (or large) topeak Aero and it is excellent. I don't use the clip on one, though I prefer the straps.
    I like the idea of using an old water bottle to carry stuff, but I do a lot of long rides and like 2 water bottles.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Arundel
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Not the Fizik clip bag. Although I could get a folded tub, multi tool, spare link, sealant and Co2 pump in it, the hinge is weak resulting in it snapping in no time at all. A great little bag spoilt by the inferior plastic of the clip.

fiziksaddlebag.jpg

I now use the same bag with velcro straps.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • hope you don't mind me jumping on the end of this thread, but do any of the above bags fit a mini pump at all? can't put it on my frame so need a bag big enough, thanks :)
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I can fit a blackburn airstik (I think it is) in my Specialized mini wedgie.

Along with a spare tube, 3 tyre levers, some scabs and a multi tool.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    hope you don't mind me jumping on the end of this thread, but do any of the above bags fit a mini pump at all? can't put it on my frame so need a bag big enough, thanks :)

Mini pump in jersey pocket.
  • Saddle packs are the devils spawn
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Saddle packs are the devils spawn

+ 1000
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Saddle packs are the devils spawn

Absolutely - I wear a great big bum-bag.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    hope you don't mind me jumping on the end of this thread, but do any of the above bags fit a mini pump at all? can't put it on my frame so need a bag big enough, thanks :)
    I have a Topeak medium aero wedge medium that fits mini pump plus mini tool, 2 inner tube, tyre levers and mobile phone. Have however just switched to stuffing everything in to a water bottle type holder as shown in a previous comment.
  • skeff10
    skeff10 Posts: 93
    Lezyne or altura do decent ones
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Topeak are good, but I had trouble with the clip on version needing my seat to be moved back to fit so I'd recommend the one with the straps.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The Edinburgh Revolution Adventure seatpack also has good capacity.