Disappointing warranty service from Paligap / Cipollini

undapressure
undapressure Posts: 116
edited June 2014 in Road general
Thought I would share my disappointing experience of the Cipollini warranty and UK distributor, Paligap, with you.

I finally pulled the trigger on my dream bike last September, a Cipollini RB800 in the fluo colourway as ridden by Vini Fantini. After about 2 months a small paint crack appeared where the seat mast joined the seat stays (a known issue apparently due to lack of elasticity in some of the earlier painted frames). The crack was only 10mm and barely visible so I didn't worry about it. After another 4 months riding, a 20mm long crack appeared on the downtube by the Cipollini logo. I took the frame back to the shop I bought it from to be returned under warranty where I was told it would be 2-3 weeks until the frame was returned from Cipollini, that was 13 weeks ago!

After 3 weeks there was no update on progress but I wasn't in a rush so didn't push things much. After 6-7 weeks and still no frame, I started to get a bit pushy. The shop was told by the Paligap that the frame had been repainted and would be dispatched that week. After 9 weeks there was still no frame, the shop spoke to Paligap who told them that the frame was 'in transit'. Not being satisfied with this, I spoke to Paligap who told me exactly the same thing, I told them to find out exactly where it was and let me know. I thought that would be the last I heard from them but half an hour later they called back to say that my frame was still in Italy and would be dispatched the following week! I lost my temper slightly especially when they started giving me a load of BS about having to retool the painting equipment as the fluo colourway was a limited edition (its not, they haven't changed the paintwork between 2013 and 2014), that the factory was very busy painting new frames and that my frame had been delayed in the UK for 2 weeks as the warranty department were on holiday!

I phoned Paligap at the end of last week (12 weeks after all of this started) and was then told that they had decided to replace my frame to apologise for the delay and inconvenience and that it wouldn't be dispatched until this week! I just want the frame back, I'm not fussed if its my original 2013 or a new 2014, they are identical! I chased Paligap again at the beginning of this week and they told me they had received a shipping note from Cipollini and that the frame would be with the shop by Friday (yesterday) at the latest. Surprise surprise, no delivery yesterday and Paligap warranty wouldn't answer the phone yesterday!

Paligap really don't seem that bothered about resolving the matter which is a shame for a distributor that supplies a number of high quality and expensive products. Unfortunately, all of this has taken the shine off of getting the frame back and I'm dreading having to deal with another warranty issue through Paligap and Cipollini which is such a shame as I love the way the bike looks and rides. They have offered me a refund, very tempted to take it and cut my losses, maybe the Pinarello F8 or Colnago C60 would be a better choice.

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Take the refund and start afresh.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    To offer more: I once had an Omega watch that I really loved, after a bad service (not by Omega) it ultimately had to have the face replaced. It was a perfectly nice face, but subtly different to the one I'd bought and it never felt quite right again. Ultimately I sold it. I miss having a nice watch, but I don't miss that one. Due to the very poor service they'd destroyed my love for it.
  • cmhill79
    cmhill79 Posts: 138
    Definitely take the refund. I wouldn't trust them after this.
  • +1. Take the refund.

Not because the frame cracked but due to the appalling service you have received from Paligap. Having experienced their customer service I would not intentionally buy any product where they are the distributor.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    To be honest when a frame cracks you will have the same palaver, no matter what... I have not been able to get a replacement fork for a Genesis/Madison... I get a voucher instead, for what they decide the price of the fork is... which doesn't even pay for another fork...
    The solution is to stop buying sxit that weighs 50 grams and cracks... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • mambo1
    mambo1 Posts: 13
    To offer more: I once had an Omega watch that I really loved, after a bad service (not by Omega) it ultimately had to have the face replaced. It was a perfectly nice face, but subtly different to the one I'd bought and it never felt quite right again. Ultimately I sold it. I miss having a nice watch, but I don't miss that one. Due to the very poor service they'd destroyed my love for it.

It's a shame you didn't send it to omega as they have great after sales service and still stock parts and have full reference number look up for vintage models. The only caveat is that they will make vintage watched look like new even if it means replacing or refinishing and a vintage watch may lose value because of this. This need to be made clear to them when you send a watch in
    Owner Cicli Schiavona - Custom hand-made Italian frames at prices you won't believe!

http://www.ciclischiavona.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716
  • mambo1
    mambo1 Posts: 13
    By the way, as far as I am aware, Cippollini's are no longer manufactured in Italy (as seems to be the case with most Italian brands these days) but in one of the Eastern block countries where Giordana - the owners of the brand manufacture clothing.

EU law is very lax on the 'Made in...labels'. You only really have to design and paint the frame in the country on the label to qualify, however, most don't even bother to paint either because nobody checks!
    Owner Cicli Schiavona - Custom hand-made Italian frames at prices you won't believe!

http://www.ciclischiavona.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716
  • ugo.santalucia
    mambo1 wrote:
    By the way, as far as I am aware, Cippollini's are no longer manufactured in Italy (as seems to be the case with most Italian brands these days) but in one of the Eastern block countries where Giordana - the owners of the brand manufacture clothing.

BTW: Cipollini were never made in Italy I think and they are not a heritage brand... the guy is a Boardman or a Hoy... he puts his name on some stuff made god-knows-where
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    mambo1 wrote:

BTW: Cipollini were never made in Italy I think and they are not a heritage brand... the guy is a Boardman or a Hoy... he puts his name on some stuff made god-knows-where

Not completely sure but wasn't there an article in Cyclist which went around the Italian factory showing frames being made?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    A quick internet search doesn't suggest Cipollini frames are made other than in Italy. The bikes are made, using his name as a marketing booster, by Diamant SRl, which also owns Giordana clothing and DMT shoes. Certainly, the Cipollini website makes great play of the company being open about the manufacturing chain, with photographs of frames being laid up and cured in an autoclave at factories in places including Pisa, Venice and Florence. It claims the frames are 100 per cent designed and made in Italy.

Does anyone have any proof that Cipollini is making false claims about manufacturing location?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Nope, I just assumed that he had them made in the far east where it's more convenient... I wasn't aware of this reality in Italy

I'll take the whip
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Cyclist Winter 2013 states:

"The frame moulds are created in Venice, the carbon monocoque is fashioned in Florence, the mechanical parts are fitted in Verona and the painting takes place in Pisa."

In addition, the products are designed in Italy and tested locally in wind tunnels.

Sounds fairly Italian to me.
  • undapressure
    undapressure Posts: 116
    The latest twist in this story, I accepted the refund offered by Paligap who confirmed that they would REFUND the shop who would then refund me. I spoke to the shop where I bought the bike today and they said that Paligap would only CREDIT their account as they have outstanding invoices and that as Paligap weren't refunding the frame cost they did not have enough funds to refund me!! I spoke to Paligap who confirmed this and that they couldn't issue a cash refund. I'm now left with no bike and a shop that's unable to refund me, WTF!

Luckily I paid by credit card and can claim the cost back from them but what a shower!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    A mate I know who runs a bike shop tells me that most of them run on supplier credit, so that doesn't surprise me.
  • did you try and cycle up a hill? I think that would invalidate the warranty on a Cipollini bike.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The latest twist in this story, I accepted the refund offered by Paligap who confirmed that they would REFUND the shop who would then refund me. I spoke to the shop where I bought the bike today and they said that Paligap would only CREDIT their account as they have outstanding invoices and that as Paligap weren't refunding the frame cost they did not have enough funds to refund me!! I spoke to Paligap who confirmed this and that they couldn't issue a cash refund. I'm now left with no bike and a shop that's unable to refund me, WTF!

Luckily I paid by credit card and can claim the cost back from them but what a shower!

Hmm - I wouldn't trust that LBS again. The frame cost was refunded - via credit note - standard practice - it just means the shop has a lower outstanding balance to pay to Paligap - the difference being owed to you. I can understand that cashflow could be tight, but if they're willing to fob a customer off with lies then they deserve to go under.
    Let the Credit Card company take it back - small claims court could be used, but more hassle than letting the CC company do their stuff.
  • Terrytibbs
    Terrytibbs Posts: 76
    964Cup wrote:
    A mate I know who runs a bike shop tells me that most of them run on supplier credit, so that doesn't surprise me.

Yes but you can't do that forever. That's like living a millionaire lifestyle on a credit card and never paying the bill. Of course they routinely have to pay off their credit before they add extra charges, and they pay it off with money. Claiming that they don't have enough to issue a refund is just pure lies.

That's the realism of having a bike shop. It's extremely difficult. But in the same instance, that is what credit is for. It's hugely expensive to stock out a shop and the credit is there to help. I can understand what the shop is saying though but it's an unfortunate situation. See if the shop can give you instalments half this month, half the next. It's not ideal but it might be best for both of you.