What is the deal with the whole size Medium thing ?

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited May 2014 in Road general
Poor_shirt.jpg

Ive noticed amongst cyclists there is a no bigger than a size medium thing going on. At the cycling clubhouse there was a kit fitting night where all club garments were offered in both standard and elite fits. The standard items fit as expected and the elite items looked like Nairo Quintana would have been holding his breath to squeeze into them. Whilst I was trying kit on I was observing other club members doing the same thing, and smiled inwardly as I saw others pouring themselves into elite size medium and struggling to breathe whilst offering comments like yeah its a good fit whilst they walked about looking like somebody had inserted 2 planks down the legs of the bibshorts.

More surprising was some members unwillingness to accept they were bigger than a size medium and these were the men !! :shock: , if a garment was bigger than a medium then they didn't want to know. Anybody else observed this in cycling circles ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    My problem is that I'm right in the middle. Medium is ok but just ever so slightly small around the middle (except in bib shorts where it's fine) and large is just a bit too big in the middle but massive around my shoulders. Can't win!! So I go for medium for the shoulders and in terms of the belly, the slight tightness reminds me to suck it in!!
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Ride your bike a lot, then you'll be able to fit into it :wink:

Indeed! 18 months ago, large was too small so moving in the right direction :)
  • Kittel won't be a medium! Nothing wrong with being an xl!
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 41
    In your fellow club members' cases it's just vanity, ideas above their station, refusal to admit 'the truth'. Agree with the other poster who said it, do some hill repeats and actually use the bike and sport properly instead of an exercise in who has the most disposable income and fanciest most 'pro' looking kit. What a load of nonsense.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    At 5ft 7 and 70-75kg depending on pie intake, I am pretty much the exact opposite of whatever body shape cycling clothes are cut for - essentially a barrel chested dwarf.

I have various cycling clothes in Small, Medium, Large and even an XL Jersey by Vermarc - they are all basically the same size!

At least you guys got to try stuff on rather than having to take a punt online - if people are to stupid to buy stuff that fits when they have tried it on then there is not really much you can do....!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Buy the clothes that fit you, who gives a f**k what the little label says in the collar. IF there is anyone who 'wants to be seen to be ordering a smaller size' than they actually need then they are a total tard.
  • cmhill79
    cmhill79 Posts: 138
    jotko wrote:
    At 5ft 7 and 70-75kg depending on pie intake, I am pretty much the exact opposite of whatever body shape cycling clothes are cut for - essentially a barrel chested dwarf.

I have various cycling clothes in Small, Medium, Large and even an XL Jersey by Vermarc - they are all basically the same size!

At least you guys got to try stuff on rather than having to take a punt online - if people are to stupid to buy stuff that fits when they have tried it on then there is not really much you can do....!

Very funny! Made me lol on a Sunday morning. Well done.
  • cmhill79
    cmhill79 Posts: 138
    Its the extra weight in a large garment that makes cyclists squeeze into a medium.