Cycle helmets are pointless, says brain surgeon

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited June 2014 in Road general
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/ne ... 105468.ece

It seems motorists gives us more space if we are helmetless.

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Done to death (sorry for the choice of words)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article4105468.ece

How do you arrive at this conclusion from a very short article? One brain surgeon basing his opinion on those he has treated - we do not know how serious the accidents were.
    Though... I would give a cyclist a wide berth if he were wearing a cowboy hat. Not necessarily in the interests of his safety.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    The neurosurgeon only sees those that requires his services...
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Old Boy ... says it all.

Yes he cycles and only came off once, comes from a time long past.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    When I was downed by a cat crossing my front spokes, I don't think the cat gave a damn that I had a helmet on... but I was glad I did... the foam cracked, my skull didn't...
    Statistics might point in one direction and there might be reasons for that, but you will never find a cyclist telling you he was glad he didn't have a helmet when he crashed.

The same arguments were used for seat belts in cars... you will always find resistance to change... for many centuries people still believed the earth was flat...
    left the forum March 2023
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Hit head on by a car doing 60mph, helmet makes little difference. We accept that.

Some studies have shown that drivers give cyclists more room if they are not wearing a helmet. I can accept that.

When I hit black ice at about 15mph and both wheels shot out from underneath me and I fell backwards landing on my back and my head whiplashed onto the road I was able to get back up, brush myself down and continue on. Stiff neck for a day or two. Without a helmet my skull would have taken the impact and I suspect I might have been requiring the services of said brain surgeon. Another club mate fell in the same accident, two fractured vertebrae and a fractured pelvis. No head injuries even though his helmeted nut struck the ground too.

Another club member had a car pull out on him at 20+mph. He hit the front wing, was launched over the bonnet cracking his head on the screen/ door pillar. As luck would have it he picked a great spot to crash:; right outside another cycling buddy's doctors surgery! He came out to find him in the road, conscious but concussed. I saw the photos of the car and the screen AND pillar were damaged. In the opinion of our GP friend if he hadn't have been wearing a helmet the chances are he would have died in the road in his arms.

The majority of cycling accidents seem to be at lower speeds (30mph or less) in my experience and I think a helmet can reduce potential injuries at these speeds if your head hits something like the road. For this reason I will continue wearing mine.

PP
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    for many centuries people still believed the earth was flat...

Eh! What shape is it then ?

:D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    tootsie323 wrote:
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article4105468.ece

How do you arrive at this conclusion from a very short article? One brain surgeon basing his opinion on those he has treated - we do not know how serious the accidents were.
    Though... I would give a cyclist a wide berth if he were wearing a cowboy hat. Not necessarily in the interests of his safety.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that I had arrived at a conclusion?

I just posted a link to a new article, and quoted one line from it. I made no comment about my own opinion of the issue, article, writer, or the surgeon.

I am far too sensible to think that personal opinions on controversial matters are best aired on a public forum.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Hit head on by a car doing 60mph, helmet makes little difference. We accept that.

Some studies have shown that drivers give cyclists more room if they are not wearing a helmet. I can accept that.

When I hit black ice at about 15mph and both wheels shot out from underneath me and I fell backwards landing on my back and my head whiplashed onto the road I was able to get back up, brush myself down and continue on. Stiff neck for a day or two. Without a helmet my skull would have taken the impact and I suspect I might have been requiring the services of said brain surgeon. Another club mate fell in the same accident, two fractured vertebrae and a fractured pelvis. No head injuries even though his helmeted nut struck the ground too.

Another club member had a car pull out on him at 20+mph. He hit the front wing, was launched over the bonnet cracking his head on the screen/ door pillar. As luck would have it he picked a great spot to crash:; right outside another cycling buddy's doctors surgery! He came out to find him in the road, conscious but concussed. I saw the photos of the car and the screen AND pillar were damaged. In the opinion of our GP friend if he hadn't have been wearing a helmet the chances are he would have died in the road in his arms.

The majority of cycling accidents seem to be at lower speeds (30mph or less) in my experience and I think a helmet can reduce potential injuries at these speeds if your head hits something like the road. For this reason I will continue wearing mine.

PP

I agree.

A neighbour was wiped out by a car turning left off the Main Road onto a Farmshop carpark. His helmet cracked open but he was 100% fine apart from some nasty scratches etc.
    If he had no helmet on it could have been a fracture to the skull and other complications- even death. You just don't know.

I think the Old Boy surgeon is being irresponsible TBH. Stuck in the past.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    When I was downed by a cat crossing my front spokes, I don't think the cat gave a damn that I had a helmet on... but I was glad I did... the foam cracked, my skull didn'.

This has to be the most insensitive post i've read on a forum in a long time....

Any decent human being would know that the vast majority of people reading this are hoping and praying the cat was alright after you ran it over.

But no, not so much as a clue as to how poor kittie got on....!!!

:roll:
  • mustgettaller
    mustgettaller Posts: 120
    banging-head-against-the-wall.gif

+++++++
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    But no, not so much as a clue as to how poor kittie got on....!!!

Having a cat as a pet, I was wondering exactly the same!

:shock:
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    He's only going to treat people who have a brain injury or suspected brain injury, he has no awareness of helmet wearers who sustained no injury or minor injuries.
  • al_kidder
    al_kidder Posts: 73
    From the Queensland Parliamentary Commitee report into cycling laws (Nov last year)

he Committee is concerned that the introduction of mandatory helmet laws may have had an
    unintended, adverse impa
    ct on cycling participation rates in Queensland and therefore the overall
    health of the state. It also believes there is sufficient evidence provided by the Northern Territory
    example that a relaxation of mandatory helmet laws in lower risk situations (suc
    h as cycling on
    footpaths and on dedicated cycle paths), does not inevitably reduce the safety of cycling.
    The Committee is therefore of the view that relaxing mandatory helmet laws in specific circumstances
    is likely to
    increase cycling participation rat
    es with a range of associated health benefits and
    economic benefits in tourism areas.
    The Committee also b
    elieves that a relaxation of mandatory
    helmet laws
    may
    assist in normalising the perception of cyclists by motorists.

Sorry about the format. Cut & pasted from a pdf.

They recommended abolition of helmet laws except on roads with a speed limit of 80kmh or higher. Not that helmets don't have benefits in low speed bumps, but they decided that the benefits of getting people moving outweigh the risks of those bumps.

Personally, as far as concussion goes, I can tell you that I have been knocked out by mistiming heading of a soccer ball as a kid and mistiming tackles playing rugby. I've done much more riding than playing football and in my few crashes, my head has never gone near the road, "though I have dented a couple of car doors with my shoulders
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @ colinthecop... Pity it wasn't the one that uses my garden as it's toilet...
  • zcapp96
    zcapp96 Posts: 26
    This is one of those debates that cannot be effective on a forum. As someone has already said that surgeon would only see those that need his attention and not the many who were able to brush themselves off and carry on their way. I was one of these myself last October when the wheels slipped out from under me when going around a corner and my helmeted head cracked on the road before I even realized what was happening! I'm certain that without a helmet I would have been seriously injured. On the other side those that do not wear a helmet and comment on such a discussion are a disproportionate sample of all helmet wearers as they have not had the kind of accident that a helmet would protect them from as if they had have done then they would either be dead or no longer in a fit mental state to be able to write comments on a forum!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Wonder if he wears that paper hat when cycling...
  • ugo.santalucia
    The cat magically disappeared on the other side of the wheel... thanks to my wildlife friendly round spokes... think about it next time you want wheels with bladed spokes... :wink:
  • charlie_potatoes
    think about it next time you want wheels with bladed spokes... :wink:

I'm going to sharpen mine up tonight. Maybe I will bag a couple of Squirrels on my Surrey Hills ride tomorrow :twisted:
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783

I'm going to sharpen mine up tonight. Maybe I will bag a couple of Squirrels on my Surrey Hills ride tomorrow :twisted:

Let's hope the squirrels are wearing crash helmets :lol:
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    Recently got wiped out racing. I'm being wheeled into theatre for an op on a smashed wrist when my mum calls to check I'd had been wearing a helmet! :lol:
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • charlie_potatoes
    neilo23 wrote:

Heheh! I'll let you know tomorrow.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Southgate wrote:
    Recently got wiped out racing. I'm being wheeled into theatre for an op on a smashed wrist when my mum calls to check I'd had been wearing a helmet! :lol:

Does she post here on the "great helmet debates"? :D
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    ^ Fortunately she doesn't know how to use a computer, or she'd be prolific! She is so convinced of the magic powers of the polystyrene hat, I think she'd be quite happy for me to ride down the fast lane of the M1 so long as I had a lid on. Still, it's nice to know that mums still care about you, even at my age :D

I wear a lid with no illusions. It's no big deal to me and there may be the odd occasion, I wouldn't put it stronger than that, where it might prevent some damage. And it keeps my mum happy.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    "No need for Neuro-surgeons" says cabbage.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    for many centuries people still believed the earth was flat...

People have never believed the earth was flat.......
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    As someone said above, Australia regrets introducing compulsory helmet laws. It has driven down participation by some 30-50% in areas.

36% of a Danish adults commute by bike to work daily, but only 3% wear helmets and they have some of the lowest cycling related accidents on the roads. It sounds daft, but the surgeon is right. Helmets are good to have because they are offering a layer of protection to the head. But, EU laws only require helmets to be tested up to an impact of only 12mph. The majority of accidents do not happen at this speed. This means that above 12mph, many helmets could be completely ineffective. I'd recommend having a read through this - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=22.7273 .

So whilst I think he's right to an extent, I'd probably recommend still sticking to wearing a helmet :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,857
    neilo23 wrote:
    If it's red squirrels they should be wearing seatbelts, even if they don't go very fast:

red-squirrels.jpg
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    JSCL wrote:
    As someone said above, Australia regrets introducing compulsory helmet laws. It has driven down participation by some 30-50% in areas

Is that a true statistic? I think more than 70 % of cyclists I see are wearing helmets already so don't think it would have the same impact here. Having said that, i don't think it should be compulsory and just down to people's choice
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ugo.santalucia
    Comparing Denmark with UK is a bit unfair... most commuters in Denmark use Dutch type bikes, in a way similar to a Boris Bike... Lower baricentre, long wheelbase, big tyres, low speed, it's very difficult to fall off one of those and when you do, you fall on your feet. I don't use a helmet on a Boris Bike. Road bikes are different