54cm frame for a 6 foot rider?

neil.s
neil.s Posts: 123
edited May 2014 in Road general
So, there's a 54cm frame that I really like, the only thing is I'm 6 foot tall with a 33" inside leg. I currently ride a 55cm 'traditional' geometry frame and a 56cm 'compact' geometry frame. The 55 traditional and 56 compact have almost the same geometry (bar a few mm's here and there).

Realistically I could put a lay-back seatpost to make the reach almost the same as my current ride.

Would you take the risk if the price was right or would you walk away hoping a larger one comes along? My head says walk away but my heart is saying buy-it if the price is right and hope I can make it work.

What would you guys do?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'm just shy of 6ft and my frames are all 54 or smaller. Pros size down all the time and it's not really an issue getting a small frame to fit (especially if it's only a cm or two).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • neil.s
    You're not helping guys, you were supposed to say walk away :wink:

I'd love to buy it and post a pic of it with miles of seatpost showing just to annoy the long seatpost haters :lol:
    But that's not reason alone to buy it.
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    5ft 11" with a 54cm too. Prefer it to the 56cm
  • neil.s
    *fingers in ears* lalalalalalalalalalalal...............not listening.............

Seriously, I think the fork steerer may be a little short..............bugger.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I was just about to chip in with the critical element of bar height. Saddle setback should be fine, you could get a long enough stem, so it's just a question of how low you run your bars compared to your saddle - then can the head tube accommodate that?
  • neil.s
    Just doubled checked some measurements. Bar height would be the same, give or take a mm or two.
    It would just be top-tube length but if I bung a lay-back post in that would solve the 1cm different.

Hmmmm.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Pull the trigger
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Only put a layback post on if it allows you to in the right position relative to the bb, otherwise you need to be creating the extra length with stem length.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,845
    6ft here, 54cm Colnago frame, but 140mm stem, leaving about 10cm saddle to stem drop (see signature). Feels very comfortable.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    mfin wrote:
    Only put a layback post on if it allows you to in the right position relative to the bb, otherwise you need to be creating the extra length with stem length.

^ What he said.

Put the saddle too far back for your dimensions and you'll risk messing your knees up.

FWIW, I've just built up this around a 53cm frame. I'm 6'1" but being from mountain stock I have diddy little 32" legs. The frame has a 55cm effective top tube, but combined with a 25mm layback and 13cm stem works perfectly for me. I have a 25mm layback on all my bikes as this is what works for me. I have a few spacers in to get the drop right, and I may or may not remove some of these depending on how it feels.

20140524_175936.jpg
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I ride a 54cm frame. I prefer smaller frames but I'm only 5ft 10 with a 29" inside leg :O
  • neil.s
    Thanks for the replies chaps. Just need to check some more measurements I've been given.

I'll let you know what happens :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm 5' 9" at most and ride a 54cm frame, but my legs are proportionally longer than my torso for my height (I wear 31" inside leg trousers).

Saddle set back is irrelevant since it will be the same on whatever frame size you have - just have more or less stem sticking out. Seat tube angle will affect it however - steeper angles mean more set back required for the same overall position.

The two dimensions to consider are (a) effective top tube length and (b) head tube length which dictate how much drop you'll jhave from saddle to bars. Hence on a smaller frame you may need a longer stem and have quite a drop from saddle to bars - gives quite an aggresive position.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • neil.s
    dang-nabbit!!

Just checked the new measurements against my current bikes. Sadly the headtube/fork steerer is just too short meaing too much of a saddle-bar drop. I like an aggresive/racy position but that would be just too far, my nose would be on the front wheel (not really, but you get the picture).

B0ll0cks, was really thinking I could get this to work for me. Pleased I asked for the other measurements, sad for the guy selling the frame however, I really was getting a little excited.

Ah well, someone's going to get a nice bike. Sadly that someone won't be me :(
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Neil, there is another frame set waiting to take your money out there :wink: . As said above, I'd not rule out the 54cm frames, I am 6'-1" with a 32" inseam and I ride a 56cm frame but a 54 would work quite well in most cases. The total fit of the bicycle would be the deciding factor for me, not just the seat tube length, nor the top tube's length, also. Best of luck on the continuing N+1 affliction, it never goes away you know. :roll:
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • neil.s
    lol @ Old_Timer :lol:

You're right, there's always another frame out there. Sadly I can't suscribe to the n+1 rule, it's strictly a one-in-one-out rule in this house. I currently have 2, a trainer/commuter and my good bike. The trainer/commuter resides in the dining room and the good bike resides in the spare bedroom. We don't have the room for another................. :wink:
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Same here, I am 1 bicycle guy anyway. Even though its heresy in the bicycling world :roll: , I cannot see having a harem or stable, I can't ride more than one at a time :lol: . Best of luck with your riding, regardless, mate.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 41
    6'2 here and ride a 56, looking at a new bike right now in 54.