Dragon ride gearing

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited June 2014 in Road general
Riding the dragon ride gran fondo next weekend. Umming and ahhing about gearing, possible on a 39 with 28 on rear or will I need compact?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The only climb you may struggle on with that gearing is Devil's Elbow, but should be fine if you're strong.
    A buddy of mine did the Fred Whitton with a 39-25 bottom gear so it all depends what you're used to.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Depends on your weight and fitness. I replaced a 12-27 with 12-29 for the Dales with a Compact and needed the extra 2 teeth.

If you are used to long/steep hills on 39x28 you should be fine, I know I would struggle.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    forestnot1 wrote:
    Riding the dragon ride gran fondo next weekend. Umming and ahhing about gearing, possible on a 39 with 28 on rear or will I need compact?

I don't see how anyone can possibly give you a meaningful answer, because nobody knows anything about you.
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    Imposter wrote:
    forestnot1 wrote:

I don't see how anyone can possibly give you a meaningful answer, because nobody knows anything about you.

Quite. One man's 34 is another man's 28.

Look at the hills you ride normally. Look at how steep and long they are. Think about whether you always have enough gearing for them. By how much?

Now look at the profile of the ride you are going to do. If it's a lot steeper and steeper/longer the more gearing will be wise if you weren't sure you already have enough.

Pro's ride compacts occasionally and with big gears on the back.

A new cassette costs almost nothing. Better to have a gear you never need than one less than you want.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I rode it 2 years ago on my alu training bike (9kg+) on 53/39 11-25.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Pro's ride compacts occasionally and with big gears on the back.

A new cassette costs almost nothing. Better to have a gear you never need than one less than you want.

More often than you would think. Wiggo used a 32 rear cassette when he won the TdF. I imagine everyone on Stelvio this week had a 28 on the back.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    DavidJB wrote:
    Yes, but you're fit, young and strong. :shock:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'm riding compact with 11-28, still expecting it to hurt though :? :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • DavidJB
    De Sisti wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

errr thanks?! :shock: 8)

Gearing is personal. I'd stick a 27 on the back if you're not sure...even a 28.
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    De Sisti wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

With impending knee problems.
  • swcr
    swcr Posts: 6
    I'm averagely fit and found a compact 50/34 with 11/28 just fine for the long 134 mile Grandfondo last year. Trouble is I still saw people with 32+ rear cassettes and triple chain sets walking on the Black mountain, Devil's Elbow, Bwlch and Rhigos mountains, so it depends on your fitness level, what you're used to riding and how knackered you are when you hit each particular mountain!

Cheers,

Nic
  • DavidJB
    De Sisti wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

With impending knee problems.

Not really. I just stood on the really steep bits and my cadence was fine. I'm not advising the guy goes out with a 53/39 11-25 it's completely dependant on his fitness and style of riding.

Have fun this weekend OP! It's a good route but there are a lot of crazy mofos so stay safe!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'm riding compact with 11-28, still expecting it to hurt though :? :lol:

Its going to hurt :)