Tyre size help

shaun668
shaun668 Posts: 52
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm new to road biking, have brought myself a 2014 Trek 1.1 which i have had for 3 months and covered 550 miles.
I have added some spd pedals and changed the saddle, I would like to change the tyres the current size is 700 x 25 would 700 x 23 fit?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yes, they're the same diameter i.e. the 700 bit, but 23 is 23mm wide compared to 25mm wide. Why would you want to go for narrower tyres, as 25c tyres can be run at a slightly lower pressure and give a more comfortable ride? Performance improvement going to 23 wide tyres is negliable, some would say 25s are actually faster! Better to choose a good 25c tyre I would say like GP4000S or Michelin Pro4 Service Course. You'll notice a big improvement compared to the tyres normally sold with bikes as new.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    As drlogde says, the trend is towards wider rims and tyres, so you may be wiser staying with the 700 x 25mm, unless there is a particular reason you want to try the 23mm, the choice is yours.

I like these Panaracer Race Type D EVO2 25mm: http://www.panaracer.com/road.php
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I have a 1.1 with 23mm tyres. As soon as they're worn out I'll be putting 25mm tyres on. Problem is they're 3 years and 5000 kms old with plenty of life in them!
  • shaun668
    shaun668 Posts: 52
    Thanks for the replies, the reason I want to change is cosmetic I like the coloured side wall tyres and the ones I had seen came in the 23mm width they also had the benefit of having a high puncture resistance.
    I'm not too fussed about low rolling resistance etc as cycling is my new hobby I would like something that looks good and has a reasonable wear rate.
  • Vesterberg
    Vesterberg Posts: 330
    tumblr_m86zy4fRLD1rratqao1_400.gif