Chains

FatManSeth
FatManSeth Posts: 32
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
With all this bad weather - it appears i have a little rust on my chain - can i clean this up or should i replace the chain?
bike's a year - done over 1200 miles - could it time for a new one anyway?

p.s - is it an easy job?

thanks

G

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    wipe it with a cloth (old linen, something that won't snag)

apply some oil

let it seep in

wipe it again

it's easy to determine if it's worn, you just need a 12" ruler, i cut/pasted the words below, if you want pictures there're umpteen sites online showing it
    With your chain still on the bike, place the ruler’s zero inch mark directly above the center of one of your chain pins. Now count 12 complete links. A complete link equals 1 inner and 1 outer. A rivet on a new chain should line up exactly to 12 inches on the ruler.

As a general rule (taken from bicycletutor.com), if the rivet is less than 1/16″ past the mark, your chain is ok. If it’s between 1/16″ and 1/8″ past the mark you’ll likely need a new chain, but your sprockets should be ok. If it’s more than 1/8″ past the mark, you’ll probably have to replace both the chain and cassette.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • stoneb09
    stoneb09 Posts: 98
    After 1200 miles it is probably worn, might be worth investing in a chain wear tool - Only a couple of quid.

I found that applying a quick squirt of GT85 on the bike chain and sprockets keeps them in perfect condition, as it displaces any water that still lies on the surface of them.
  • You can often bring a rusted chain bike to life and you think, wow, its working again. Then 25 miles away from your house it snaps between a link, and then you think, oh sh1te!

If you go any sort of reasonable distance away from your setting off point (e.g. your home), my advice would be to change it!
  • FatManSeth
    FatManSeth Posts: 32
    Thanks guys-
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Can't believe people are suggesting binning a 1200-mile chain due to a bit of surface rust. Wipe it with an oily cloth, drip some oil or other lube in each link and wipe off the surplus with the same oily cloth then go out for a couple of test rides to check it's all ok. It will be.

Unless you're pounding the rounds at decent speeds and giving it a load of grunt up hills chains are easily good for 2000 miles.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I ride my chains for 5-6000 miles in all conditions...I've only ever had one break in 5 years and that was after 8000 miles!

I just change them twice a year...If I kept my chains for only 2000 miles I'l be changing them every 2 months!!!