2 months in!

joannesmith2818
joannesmith2818 Posts: 26
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Just thought I would check in with an update on progress!
I have now had my bike for 2 months, and I am getting a bit obsessed (like many of you warned me). I have already spent way too much money on cycling stuff....I walk around in ropey clothes, yet all of my cycling clothing is new with no holes! Also I have discovered that a large percentage of women’s gear has pink on it.....really peeves me off. I despise pink.
I have gone from doing around 7-8 miles to about 20 miles on my long rides. I live in Hull so have been seeking out some hillier rides. I have also driven to some hills and cycled up and down them to get a bit more used to it. I think I could do a lot longer on the bike, I just have a lot of time restraints as I am In the last 4 months of my PhD.
I ended up swapping the saddle on my bike. Even though it was a women’s bike, it came with a standard saddle, and it was rather uncomfortable on the lady parts. So after doing a bit of reading, and deciding maybe the women’s saddles weren't just a gimmick, I went to a cycle store and got my butt measured. I found the new saddle so much better. I mean it didn't even cross my mind during a longer ride, which is amazing considering I was in constant pain, shifting around with the last one. I also found I don’t get butt pain from longer rides, which is a nice bonus!
I have also swapped over to clipless pedals. I had a few moments on the platform pedals when my foot came flying off the pedal over rough ground, and that was pretty scary. So my dad gave me some of his old spd pedals. I have mountain bike shoes (because I want to be able to walk around in them too) so luckily he had tones of spares to choose from. I practiced in my drive and fell over sideways twice in a row....ouch. I bruise like a peach, so I looked black and blue for a few weeks. I then went out and fell off again. I don’t think it really hurt, but it knocked my confidence a lot. I was about to give up on them when I read about the Shimano click’R pedals. So as a last attempt I got some of them.....I am so glad I did. They are insanely easy. I can still pull hard up hills yet you can release them like they are barely there. It boosted my confidence hugely. I doubt I will ever change to other Spds because I don’t see the point. You can get out of these faster, and you can’t just slip out of them accidentally which is what I thought would happen. The only disadvantage I see is the weight, but I can deal with that.
There is one problem I do have. Its when I am really out of breath going up a hill, I get this weird cramping feeling through my neck and shoulder which seems to effect circulation to my head as I get very tight headed which wouldn't happen with any other exercise. I don’t know if I hold them tight, or if my body just hates being out of breath. I might need to work on loosening up a bit, and also getting fitter. I am going to start doing spinning on the really miserable days to help with this.
My aims now are to improve my average speed and to do a 30 miles Sportive which is coming up fairly soon. I have also found a local all women’s road biking club, so when I feel confident enough I may get in contact and start riding with them!
Thanks for reading :D

Comments

• Lancstony
    Lancstony Posts: 44
    It is great fun isn't it!! Only been riding for a short time myself and always looking for next time I can get out, problem is I always seem to find more stuff to buy which isn't good!!!

Re the SPD's, I just bit the bullet and jumped on and went, luckily was ok, only problem I had was getting away from lights where I couldn't get clipped in quick enough and foot slipped and got a bit dangerous as I was weaving over the road!!!! Thats all sorted now though and seem to be ok.

I had the same thing with the neck and shoulder thing but it has gone the more I have ridden, think may just be down to not being used to being in that position and also due to fact I'm not that fit.

Been looking at clubs as well but don't feel I am there yet, don't want to be the one everyone waiting for etc but I am sure as time goes by this will change.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Hi there, that's the first time I've heard of Click'R pedals, so I looked at a review on them. Seems surprising to me they are so easy to clip out of as they look the same as my SPD M540s with a platform round them. I'm fine with SPDs but my wife might give these as try as she is a bit nervous of moving to clipless pedals and they might be just the job. :)
  • Lancstony - Yeh there is soooo much to buy! I am a real sucker for gadgets aswell. I just try get a few bits second hand. Even picked up a carbon bottle holder for £5 the other day. Cant wait to get a better job, so I can go more mad! And I never found clipping in a trouble, its was just releasing them. I just got pedalling first then thought about clipping in. Once I fell twice it made it more nerve racking and I honestly felt nervous to even get on my bike. And I am glad i am not the only one with a crampy neck, its a real pain tbh. And as for clubs, that was my thinking. I really dont want to hold anyone up, though they do have the slower steadier beginers rides on Sundays so might have to give it a try. Plus they have a beginers meet and greet this Sunday. Just have to see if I am brave enough :)

ForumNewbie - Yeh That is exactly what my dad said. There the same yada yada. But I had the ones he gave me at the easiest setting and they were still much harder to release than the Click'r ones. Seriously see if she likes them because they have given me so much confidence. Also they come with the multi direction cleats so you can get out of them at many different angels, so if you have a panic moment you can release them by jerking heel upwards. But they still dont release if you are pedalling very hard. I am planning to tighten them gradually, over a few weeks when I am more used to them!
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Definitely worth giving the club a try. As someone who took a few attempts at joining a club I am so glad I persevered and stayed with it. I had a few confidence sapping rides at first, they waited for me but it was still a bit embarrassing feeling that you are sometimes holding everyone up despite all the encouragement from more experienced riders. Stick with it and you soon find the pace and distances become ever more manageable and enjoyable, it's great flying along in a group. If they are not prepared to wait for you and support you then find another club. I know that no one on our rides sneers or tuts at any newbies who turns up and maybe struggles a bit at first, everyone has to start somewhere.
    Importantly though, continue to get the miles in outside of club riding, there's no substitute for miles in the legs.
    Go for it!
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ianbz
    ianbz Posts: 27
    Is the club you mentioned The Sunday Girls? They will give you a good welcome and have ladies with varying abilities. Give them a try and I am sure you won't regret it. Good to get some advice from some like minded people! Instead of driving out to some hills have you tried cycling out to Brantingham? There's some decent hills to crack around there and also Newbald. Enjoy!
  • macmaywill
    macmaywill Posts: 19
    Just thought I would check in with an update on progress!
    I have now had my bike for 2 months, and I am getting a bit obsessed (like many of you warned me). I have already spent way too much money on cycling stuff....I walk around in ropey clothes, yet all of my cycling clothing is new with no holes! Also I have discovered that a large percentage of women’s gear has pink on it.....really peeves me off. I despise pink.
    I have gone from doing around 7-8 miles to about 20 miles on my long rides. I live in Hull so have been seeking out some hillier rides. I have also driven to some hills and cycled up and down them to get a bit more used to it. I think I could do a lot longer on the bike, I just have a lot of time restraints as I am In the last 4 months of my PhD.
    I ended up swapping the saddle on my bike. Even though it was a women’s bike, it came with a standard saddle, and it was rather uncomfortable on the lady parts. So after doing a bit of reading, and deciding maybe the women’s saddles weren't just a gimmick, I went to a cycle store and got my butt measured. I found the new saddle so much better. I mean it didn't even cross my mind during a longer ride, which is amazing considering I was in constant pain, shifting around with the last one. I also found I don’t get butt pain from longer rides, which is a nice bonus!
    I have also swapped over to clipless pedals. I had a few moments on the platform pedals when my foot came flying off the pedal over rough ground, and that was pretty scary. So my dad gave me some of his old spd pedals. I have mountain bike shoes (because I want to be able to walk around in them too) so luckily he had tones of spares to choose from. I practiced in my drive and fell over sideways twice in a row....ouch. I bruise like a peach, so I looked black and blue for a few weeks. I then went out and fell off again. I don’t think it really hurt, but it knocked my confidence a lot. I was about to give up on them when I read about the Shimano click’R pedals. So as a last attempt I got some of them.....I am so glad I did. They are insanely easy. I can still pull hard up hills yet you can release them like they are barely there. It boosted my confidence hugely. I doubt I will ever change to other Spds because I don’t see the point. You can get out of these faster, and you can’t just slip out of them accidentally which is what I thought would happen. The only disadvantage I see is the weight, but I can deal with that.
    There is one problem I do have. Its when I am really out of breath going up a hill, I get this weird cramping feeling through my neck and shoulder which seems to effect circulation to my head as I get very tight headed which wouldn't happen with any other exercise. I don’t know if I hold them tight, or if my body just hates being out of breath. I might need to work on loosening up a bit, and also getting fitter. I am going to start doing spinning on the really miserable days to help with this.
    My aims now are to improve my average speed and to do a 30 miles Sportive which is coming up fairly soon. I have also found a local all women’s road biking club, so when I feel confident enough I may get in contact and start riding with them!
    Thanks for reading :D
    Very nice and keep up the good job.
    When i started cycling last year in June i did the same thing and bought all kinds of crap esp kits to match my bike and now i'm stuck with cannondale jersery but ride giant & felt :)
    For my cycling anniversary i cycled for 108 miles solo. So i challenge you to for your cycling anniversary go out and ride long solo :)
  • IanBz wrote:
    Is the club you mentioned The Sunday Girls? They will give you a good welcome and have ladies with varying abilities. Give them a try and I am sure you won't regret it. Good to get some advice from some like minded people! Instead of driving out to some hills have you tried cycling out to Brantingham? There's some decent hills to crack around there and also Newbald. Enjoy!

Hi yes it is the Sunday girls. I just need to pluck up the courage and go for it really! I will have a look at the route to Brantingham and Newbald. I haven't gone very far afield yet, just around the area just north of Cottingham! There are some lovely quiet roads around there :) my favorite being Long Lane going from Beverley :).

And wow a long solo ride sounds like a good challenge. I should definitely set myself some epic challenge for next summer. For now I am continuing to build my stamina, and aiming for some mid length sportives :)
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I went to a cycle store and got my butt measured.

Now there's a dream job for someone... 8)
  • I went to a cycle store and got my butt measured.

Now there's a dream job for someone... 8)

Not quite as exciting as it sounds. When he said i need to measure your sit bones, I had all sorts of stuff going through my mind. Turns out you just sit on something to mark it. Though my sister being the joker she is made it rather awkward nether the less.
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    Great stuff and keep at it! I started cycling just under 2 years ago and went through the pain of finding the right saddle and padded shorts combo for women.
    I absolutely love cycling and have done all sorts of things since starting...did some alps climbs in France last year, cycled to the Lake District from Derbyshire and this year I am doing loads of sportives.
    I found spin classes really helped my fitness and leg strength, as does regular cycling each week. I too struggle to fit everything in as I have a horse too!
    The sportives are great confidence boosters and you really can go at your own pace or join a group that is a similar speed. I can highly recommend the Wiggle and Cycling Weekly ones as they are so well organised and cater for all levels of rider.