KMC 10 speed missing chain link , is it re-useable ?

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited May 2014 in Workshop
When a tech fitted a new 10 speed shimano 105 chain to my bike he used a kmc missing link, im going to fit a new chain new week and im wondering is the 10 speed kmc link re-useable ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    yes it is, but dont be so tight. Buy a fresh one for a new chain. Alternatively use the joining pin that comes with the chain and then keep the quicklink for roadside repairs.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Some of them are and some are not. If it is a one time use one don't reuse it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    All the KMC ones i have are re-usable but if the chain is worn and needs replacing then chances are that the link is too.

I got two spare links from Decathlon in a pack for £3.99 - they are KMC ones even though not in branded packaging.

I always buy KMC chains and they come with a new link - good chains too.
  • Serious Cat
    I change chains when they are 0.75 % worn, would I still need to buy a missing link ?

Regarding the decathlon ones mentioned above, I did a search and they are for 3-8 speed only.

Decathlon do sell a 10 speed one for £4.99 stamped kmc on side and they say its for sram only. Am I correct in thinking sram and shimano are interchangeable and those ones im referring to will be ok on my 105 5700 chain ?
  • apreading
    There is a good chance that the link is also 0.75% worn, so I would guess this needs replacing as much as the rest of the chain.

Thats the one, its £4.99 now - you get two links for that (so £2.50 each) and it works with KMC, Shimano and SRAM 10 speed chains as I understand it - their 10 speed chains, cassettes, chainrings etc are all interchangeable.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    The Sram 10 speed Powerlink is only meant to be used once, the KMC 10 speed missing link can be used numerous times
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Quick tip, buy the quick link pliers which make opening the link way easier. I can open 9-speed links with my bare hands, but 10-speed links are a right pain without the pliers. They only cost around £7 and are worth their weight in gold for the lack of faff.
  • Serious Cat
    Many thanks for the decathlon heads up, I got 2 x 10 speed missing links for £4-99 :D
  • apreading
    No probs - they do a few things like that where you get branded goods without the branding for a fraction of the cost... Dont know why, but its great when you find one!