2»

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    60mm stem not at all twitchy :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • philclubman
    philclubman Posts: 229
    Wow! Thank you for all of the opinions. I didn't expect the directions this thread would take when I posted about the deal on the Raleigh!

I was convinced that I was going to buy a carbon frame in the sales, but think I'm going to wait a while.

Having thought about Ugo's comments on problems with carbon frames, I think my next bike will be something like the Acciaio, without integrated headsets, internal cables and press-fit BB's. I'm someone who likes things that work and last (and that I can service).

OnYourRight - I really appreciate your input. Everything you've said makes good sense - would be great to see a pic of your Clubman if you want to post one? I am going to try an 80mm stem at some stage just to see. I'm in no rush though. I'm fairly comfortable on the bike and have ridden all day rides with very few issues. I've got a 310 mile ride next Saturday so I hope the fit isn't too far out!!

Thanks again
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I notice no-one has commented on the presumably massive and barely controllable change in handling when moving your hands the ~80 mm between the drops and tops. Telling.

But that's the reason why I descend with my hands on the drops and nowhere else. I have chicken levers on my CX bike, so I could descent with my hands on the bars, but the handling is atrocious and would be even worse with a shorter stem.
    Anyway, horses for courses, I have been OK with stems down to 100 mm, but anything lower than that feels weird and unsafe
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Something tells me Grill feels what he wants to feel, whether that’s a 1° cleat change or “twitchy” steering. There’s a lot of this sort of commentary on the web. Readers are advised to take it with a tablespoon of salt pending their own investigations.

I blew my knew on the 24hr last year due to less than a 2 degree difference in cleat rotation. I hardly think that qualifies as psychosomatic.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Grill wrote:
    Just a throw-away comment meant to inflame. Seems to have worked, although I'd like to see evidence of a pro using a small stem...

Rather shorter than mine - it's in the Pro tech thread on Paris Roubaix. I've seen short stems on TdF threads before too but this one came up first.

shortstem_zps55a67177.jpg

Of course, if you think that's short, try riding a folder. My work has a Dahon folder I use occasionally. The stem on that is approximately 0mm! It's amusing/interesting riding a small wheeled bike with no stem downhill at 30mph. That is twitchy but, again, you get used to it. I think the issue there is more the wheel size than the stem length though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Rolf F wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Just a throw-away comment meant to inflame. Seems to have worked, although I'd like to see evidence of a pro using a small stem...

Rather shorter than mine - it's in the Pro tech thread on Paris Roubaix. I've seen short stems on TdF threads before too but this one came up first.

shortstem_zps55a67177.jpg

Of course, if you think that's short, try riding a folder. My work has a Dahon folder I use occasionally. The stem on that is approximately 0mm! It's amusing/interesting riding a small wheeled bike with no stem downhill at 30mph. That is twitchy but, again, you get used to it. I think the issue there is more the wheel size than the stem length though.

:shock:
    Far be it for me to defy the peloton!
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • philclubman
    Yep, 310 miles. The challenge is to ride from Richmond to Land's End in under 24 hours. Wish me luck!

Your Clubman looks great. Nice photos too. Here's mine with 'guards and low section wheels (pre a few other changes).

8927586547_ed4a612a5b_z.jpg
  • philclubman
    Sorry for the really slow reply.

Good news, I made it to Land's End! Took me 24 hours and 31 mins.

Out of the eighty riders that started, six made it in under 24hrs! I've put a short write-up on the link below.

http://1drv.ms/UiHi8f

I was relying very much on hope to get me through and it did. My furthest training ride was about half the distance and much flatter.

Thanks so much for the Velocio link. That was really inspirational. Makes me wonder why I needed all those energy gels (and 30 gears).

Any Q's about kit etc or what it was like, let me know. Feel free to PM me, onyourright.
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    Great effort and although you didn't quite make it still a fantastic achievement