Chainsets - All about weight?

Savagestorm
Savagestorm Posts: 79
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I am currently in the process of upgrading my drivetrain, and I am having difficulty deciding which chainset to opt for. My primary question is, what sets apart different chain sets?

Two obvious factors which would make a decision are weight and stiffness. Stiffness data is rarely published, so do you base your decision solely upon weight?

Additionally, how do you decide upon the correct crank length without having ridden them all?

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Switched mine yesterday and the main consideration was gearing, fancied giving 52/36 a try.

Then as a tart I ask, does it match the groupset/bike?

Crank length is a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • odessouky
    odessouky Posts: 264
    Interested here as well
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited May 2014
    You got to love the effort they put into testing. I have to say I can't notice any difference when riding between my record carbon square taper cranks and my DA 7800 cranks, or any other of the cranks I own. They all feel like cranks to me. I push I go forward.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Grill
    There's a reason they were voted the best bike shop in the US... :P

You should check out their hub reviews, a lot of good info there.
  • odessouky
    odessouky Posts: 264
    You got to love the effort they put into testing. I have to say I can't notice any difference when riding between my record carbon square taper cranks and my DA 7800 cranks, or any other of the cranks I own. They all feel like cranks to me. I push I go forward.

Exactly my thoughts, even though I am a totall beginner in cycling.

My carbon bike came with 105 groupset, except for the chainset, which was the makers own brand, MEKK, and am always contemplating changing it to say 105 or ultegra, but can not really justify the price for no increase in benefit, apart from weight?

I'm pretty sure a PRO might feel the difference, but for the rest of us I doubt there will be any real world difference?

I could be wrong of course?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    biggest difference you'll ever notice between chainsets are BB compatability and durability (of the chainset and BB type).
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Some chainrings seem to have a smoother pick up than others.
  • Grill
    Bozman wrote:
    Some chainrings seem to have a smoother pick up than others.

Dura Ace chainrings are easily the best with Praxis a close second.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I went for the S-Works chainset on my S-Works bike, partly because it looks better (matches my frame & I hate the look of DuraAce crank) and also because it is what the frame was designed to use.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    BrandonA wrote:
    I went for the S-Works chainset on my S-Works bike, partly because it looks better (matches my frame & I hate the look of DuraAce crank) and also because it is what the frame was designed to use.

It's also very light and damn good.