work stand?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I find my Minoura stand is too unstable. It would probably be OK if the bike was clamped by the top tube but thats not possible with carbon. I was wondering about a Tacx stand that the bike sits on like this:
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/tacx ... tAodEGkAEw
Any suggestions?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    I have the Park version - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park ... p-prod7859
    And am very happy with it.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • on-yer-bike
    The Tacx one looks more designed and the Park one looks more butch. Can you clamp either the front or the rear dropouts?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I was going to buy the Spider team, but bought the cheap Ribble one instead. Its just a bike stand...
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Search on here for Lidl work stands and read why you should wait for the next Lidl cycle promotion and get one, or, if you can't wait buy the very very similar eBay JimMenzies one for £30 (ish).
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    The Tacx one looks more designed and the Park one looks more butch. Can you clamp either the front or the rear dropouts?

Liked the Park coz it looks like it's built to last a few years.
    I guess you could, but have only clamped the front myself.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • on-yer-bike
    I was going to buy the Spider team, but bought the cheap Ribble one instead. Its just a bike stand...
    Yes but when it falls over with your bike attached you wish it was a good bike stand. If you work on your own bikes a lot, Id say it was pretty important.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,571
    who said you can't clamp a carbon frame? why do people think carbon will explode if you touch it? they make bikes out of the stuff for gods sake
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    gsk82 wrote:
    who said you can't clamp a carbon frame? why do people think carbon will explode if you touch it? they make bikes out of the stuff for gods sake

I clamp mine by the top tube. I don't use the quick clamp lever set too tight but apply it loosely then gradually tighten by screwing it until it is firm. Not broken it yet.
  • The Lidl one is rock-solid- I see absolutely no reason to spend thrice as much on a stand....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Can you clamp either the front or the rear dropouts?

Yes - you should be able to see how from the pictures!

I have the Park one. It is very solid and I know I'll never need to buy another stand. Spread over the rest of my life, the cost of the Park is no less negligible than a cheap stand.

Functionally, this sort of stand is better than the seat post clamping type. It's much more stable particularly for mucking around with BBs. Also, both sides of the bike are equally accessible.

The disadvantage is that it takes a little longer to get the bike mounted onto the stand and if you are doing work that requires both wheels to be in place you'll have to at some point swap the bike around on the stand.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I have that very Tacx workstand and it is a vast improvement on my previous one. Clamps front or rear. Mudguards can be an issue but I have fount that they generally be moved out of the way temporarily. If you have only carbon bikes then I suspect mudguards would not be an issue for you.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have that very Tacx workstand and it is a vast improvement on my previous one. Clamps front or rear. Mudguards can be an issue but I have fount that they generally be moved out of the way temporarily. If you have only carbon bikes then I suspect mudguards would not be an issue for you.

My Ribble is carbon with mudguards - cruds which just twist out of the way. No problem at all.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Use both at once:
    X2Y2PCV.jpg

The video shows the Tacx T3050 in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOJqeZG4O5o. The T3350 seems to be the current version; wonder what and why they changed.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    cripes, what ever happened to flipping it over onto the bars and saddle?

but i do have this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park ... p-prod5787
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    edited May 2014
    gsk82 wrote:

Totally agree…….I always fix mine by the top tube and miraculously it hasn't shattered yet!!! :roll:
  • The Lidl one is rock-solid- I see absolutely no reason to spend thrice as much on a stand....

+1
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Anybody know if EBay ones are are solid as the Lidl ones? In an ideal world I would have the tacx one, but money is tight
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group