MTB Smart Sam performance ORC tyres?

Scottd123
Scottd123 Posts: 15
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi I was going to order the Smart sam performance tyres 26" but it says "OCR" <---- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Is it for road tyres? Not sure.
Thankyou Scott.

Comments

• raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Scottd123 wrote:
    Hi I was going to order the Smart sam performance tyres 26" but it says "OCR" <---- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    Thankyou Scott.

Can't recall what it stands for but OCR is their cheap basic compound. Smart sams are a reasonable compromise tread pattern. They have a airily constant centre section that is good on the road and reasonable lugs on the side for dirt.

I run them on my cummuter as I do a out 30 miles a day 50% of which is in the forest and the rest on bike paths (I live in Denmark and am very lucky). The OCR ones are a good compound for that but they are rubbish in mud and wet roots. If I am running schwable, I would only run the evolution compound for real stuff on my "good" bike.
  • Scottd123
    Scottd123 Posts: 15
    Ok thankyou for help
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Scottd123 wrote:
    Ok thankyou for help

No worries. Sorry for bad typing. Bloody iPad...
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Scottd123 wrote:
    Thankyou Scott.

ORC - Offroad racing compound

simple google search would have told you :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or an ugly bugger from LOTR.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    raldat wrote:
    Scottd123 wrote:
    Thankyou Scott.

Can't recall what it stands for but OCR is their cheap basic compound. Smart sams are a reasonable compromise tread pattern. They have a airily constant centre section that is good on the road and reasonable lugs on the side for dirt.

I run them on my cummuter as I do a out 30 miles a day 50% of which is in the forest and the rest on bike paths (I live in Denmark and am very lucky). The OCR ones are a good compound for that but they are rubbish in mud and wet roots. If I am running schwable, I would only run the evolution compound for real stuff on my "good" bike.

Wow Denmark second flatest country to Holland... :P
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on your criteria, highest point in is Denmark is at 170m above sea level while the Netherlands goes to a near mountainous 323m (from -7m at it's lowest) by comparison.

Flattest country in the world is the Maldives of course with no point of it being more than 4m above sea level and none below.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    Depends on your criteria, highest point in is Denmark is at 170m above sea level while the Netherlands goes to a near mountainous 323m (from -7m at it's lowest) by comparison.

Flattest country in the world is the Maldives of course with no point of it being more than 4m above sea level and none below.
    Or ex country once the icecaps melt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools