bottle cage suitable for hanging off back of saddle

michaelede
michaelede Posts: 152
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Got myself the shiny minoura double water bottle cage mount / holder and got a couple of cheap plastic cages. Both broke during a sportive. Any suggestions for a decent cage that is robust enough to hang out the back with full 800ml bottles?

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I know the gorrila cages are specially designed to take saddle mounted water bottles, but they do cost a fortune.
    I'd just buy one of the old fashioned alloy cages- they are pretty lightweight (esp. compared with an 800ml bottle!!) and are fairly sturdy. I used one briefly to hold a spares tub, and it didn't have any problems.
    The bigger issue you'll probably have is when you hit a bump and your bottle is launched into orbit- when your cage gets older the fit will be less secure and more likely to happen, but again an alloy cage can be teased back into a secure grip.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Holy double thread posting, batman
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I've got a Topeak one which I used for my commuter fixed gear, works fine, doesn't feel all that sturdy though, but then it was like £10
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    I use Tacx Tao Ultralight Bottle Cages and have had no issues with the cage resiliency, nor the bottle "grenade launcher" effect. I also use the Tacx Bottle Cage Saddle Mount, and have only one cage mounted to it. I carry the larger Camelbak insulated bottles on it, which allegedly have a capacity of 750ml - often frozen solid...