winter bike - Kinesis 4s and Sora

BikeAndEarly
BikeAndEarly Posts: 28
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone

I have a carbon roubaix sl4 and it is fitted with full ultegra components including wheels. It has the cobl gobl-r seatpost and everything else is 3T and Cane Creek. So it is a nice bike.

However, I wanted to build/buy something on the other end of the spectrum for winter and everyday use. I am thinking:
1. Buy a Kinesis Aluminum Frame Racelight 4s with carbon forks for £449. It will take mudguards and 28c tyres.

Then just use my Sora 9 speed groupset with an Ultegra Bottom Bracket and maybe a smaller cassette rather than the 11-32 that came on the Roubaix.

I can the use all the finishing kit from the SL4 Roubaix such as seatpost, saddle, handlebars, stem AND the wheels wheels and brakes and that will give me a bike for about 600 pounds including the cost for putting all together.

The problem I have is that I feel I am better off going for a 10 speed tiagra groupset but of course that means I need new wheels and tyres etc.

What do you guys think? I think Sora is perfectly fine for the winter and with a smaller cassette such as 12-27 or whatever is available in the 9 speed range will be better for reducing the gaps in the gear ratios.

The rest of the Specialized finishing kit is absolutely fine and the wheels and brakes are OK.

The frame sounds expensive for the finishing kit but I hear great things about those frames and the discounts are bound to start in a couple of months

Or am I better off selling everything on e-pay while it is still worth something and getting new components and the frame closer to winter time when the discounts on older items begin?

Come on gurus.

Thanking you in advance

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the original Racelight Tk from nearly 7 years ago. For 6 years it was my year round, all weather bike. Now it's my winter / wet weather bike and I have a lovely carbon jobbie for the warm, dry weather we've been enjoying of late.

Brilliant bike, so I imagine the 4s is even better. 9 speed Sora would be a good choice for a winter bike, then you can treat the Roubaix to some new 11 speed kit. The Tk, and so I believe the 4s, requires long drop brake calipers, so if you have standard ones on the Roubaix you'll need to source alternatives. I have Shimano BR450's and they have been fine. Looks like you're in luck with the seatpost as both are 27.2mm dia.