Campag athena max cassette size choice for alps

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm off to alp du huez in a few weeks and currently use a compact with 11/27 rear cassette and short cage rear mech .
I'm a relatively good climber and living in Wales can't go anywhere without a few hills.
My question is can I go upto a 28/29 rear and can my rear mech take it .
I've had varied responses on the need to go larger than a 27

Comments

• Fitted a 12-29 on my g/fs Athena equipped bike before we went to France last year without any issues.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    From what I gather (and I could be wrong) post 2011 11-speed Chorus/Record/SR rear mechs are all one cage size so are compatible with all cassettes including the new 29 cog. It's just a chain length issue. Not sure about Athena though.

I could say you’d be fine with a compact front and a 27 rear in the Alps but would get flamed for it - so I won't ;-)
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    If you are a relatively good climber you will be fine on Alpe d'Huez with a 27.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    I have Athena with 12-29 on my new bike. It has eaten Rhigos, Bwlch, Tumble and Gospel pass with me quite satisfactorily.
  • gwillis
    Cheers I'm going to stick my neck out and ride the 27 ...... Grind here we come
  • theobrixton
    theobrixton Posts: 92
    Don't underestimate the Alpe. Not the longest climb and it doesn't have the super steep pitches of some but it is unrelenting. That said, if you rate yourself a good climber, 34/27 should be fine. Good luck!

P.S. There's a great climb only a couple of ks from Le Bourg D'Oisans called the Col D'Ornan. Nowhere near as tough as l'Alpe but tough enough and much prettier views along the way. And when you turn around you can bomb the descent as there's not many switchbacks. Super fun.
  • gwillis
    Cheers I'm not the greatest climber but finish in the group if that makes sense . All the local climbs ... Tumble etc I'm able to get up relatively ok ... Well grind my way up ;) . I'm told take it easy at the bottom and save some for the last few turns ?
  • theobrixton
    theobrixton Posts: 92
    You won't have any choice about taking it easy early as the first couple of ks are about the steepest :)
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    You'll be fine on that gearing, what kind of time are you going for? I managed an hour last year with 39-25. So I reckon you could smash that, and be far more comfortable (I'm an average climber)
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I run 12-29 with a Chorus 11 rear mech so you'll have no issues.
  • gwillis
    Miles253 wrote:
    You'll be fine on that gearing, what kind of time are you going for? I managed an hour last year with 39-25. So I reckon you could smash that, and be far more comfortable (I'm an average climber)

I think your a touch fitter than me to be honest the 3 of us who are going aren't so much concerned with timings although a reasonable one would be good . We are going for the whole experience of riding the climbs etc