Conti GP 4000 s 11.

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,anyone like myself struggling to get hold of a pair of Conti GP 4000 S 11 TYRES?
I know they are new on the market but they seem to be scarce.
Wiggle do the best price but they are out of stock and those that do have them ( black and green) are charging a ridiculous £50 a tyre against Wiggle,s £34.99.
Help anyone.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Evans had some all black ones but I had to order the black/red ones.

Assumed the coloured ones are not out yet rather than have sold out.
    When do wiggle say they will have them? Might just have to order and wait for them.

Anyone know whats better about them other than design/colour?
    Box mentioned high TPI but not sure what old ones were.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Evans has stock of GP4000S original version, get those? Not sure it's any different to the new ones. All the reviews I've read talk about the colours, the different sizes etc but everything else is identical.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    New ones are the same as the old ones, just in less widths and colours...get some of the old ones.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Good grief, the Rose bikes prices are good- even compared to the old 4000s!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I wonder if they've made the new ones not last as long so they can sell more :) the out-going ones lasted and lasted.
  • mfin
    Also, I wonder if the quality control has gone up, cos line from coloured sidewall to black looked awful on the coloured ones when I saw them...

2r4ndck.jpg
  • casatikid
    I know I can get the all black ones but im having a bike built at the moment so I thought go for a bit of bling for a change .That's why I want the green and black.
    They are already out there but I believe some companies are looking to make a quick buck before they become the only replacement for the old GP 4000s.
    I phoned Sigma sport earlier to see if the would price match Wiggle or Tweeks as they are £15 per tyre more expensive than those two online retailers.They flaty refused.
    That really hacked me off as Wiggle and Tweeks are making a profit from these tyres so just how much do Sigma want to earn from us hard working cyclists.?.
    I even offered to buy an expensive saddle from them if they would price match but once again.A big fat NO.
    Needless to say,i wont be shopping with them again.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited May 2014
    The Rose price is excellent.

Bike-discount give free shipping over 100 euro and 5.95 euro under that. The coloured tyres are more expensive at £31.47

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/praesenz ... -4000+s+II
  • markhewitt1978
    That pic looks terrible, looks like I've had three bottles of wine and finger painted a stripe on. I still think the all black ones look best anyway.
  • casatikid
    Thanks Adamfo-Already aware of that site but they don't have the Black and Green in at moment.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the red ones look silly I might try those grey ones instead
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    But you don't put coloured tyres on a bike so what does it matter, it's black or black and tan and that's your lot.
  • rickeverett
    The picture of the coloured GP4000's were pre-production before they went on sale from last year wernt they? You couldn't find any for sale when the pic came out because I was looking for them at the time.

ones I have seen have a defined edge - I have the tour 100 edition and the white edge is well defined.

The Rose prices are good for everything because of the exchange rate. I have bought a couple of things from there shop now
  • mfin
    Bozman wrote:
    But you don't put coloured tyres on a bike so what does it matter, it's black or black and tan and that's your lot.

Correct answer. 5 points.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I have some 25s on there way as the wait for 28s has become impossibly long and wiggle have cancelled the back order as they don't know when they will be coming in.

Looking forward to trying them, shame I couldn't get the 28 (my usual tyre size) as I will ride these on some longer events. Hopefully they are as fast as claimed.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,121
    @ Mfin - if you go fast, no one will see the bad definition :wink:

@marcusjb - 28's !! I thought I was gong soft when I bought 25 rear and 23 front (now 25/25). Doubt I could fit 28mm to the winter bike because the clearance on the SKS raceblade long is barely enough.
    What's the ride like on 28's?

Ribble used to do combo's of two different sizes and it was good value, I can't seem to find that offer anymore.

That German coy, any good? I am amazed at the prices.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    I fitted a pair of black black mark 2's at the weekend and even though they have not been ridden on yet they were certainly easier to fit than the earlier version :)
  • marcusjb

@marcusjb - 28's !! I thought I was gong soft when I bought 25 rear and 23 front (now 25/25). Doubt I could fit 28mm to the winter bike because the clearance on the SKS raceblade long is barely enough.
    What's the ride like on 28's?

28 in a great size, comfy, still fast - the roads are not going to be getting better any time soon. Comfort outweighs outright speed in most long distance endeavours. I am happy on 28 for 250 miles a day, however, I have stuff coming up that is more 350-400 a day, so hopefully these tyres will get me there a little faster. Shame I can only get the 25, going to be weird on narrow tyres!

I think (hope) we will see more and more tyres at 28 and frames to take them. For real world riding, it makes so much sense to be wider.
  • markhewitt1978
    cerv50 wrote:
    I fitted a pair of black black mark 2's at the weekend and even though they have not been ridden on yet they were certainly easier to fit than the earlier version :)

Surprising because the original version tyres are very easy to fit, they certainly go on without much effort and off without much fuss too. Unlike the GP 4 Seasons where my thumbs were still hurting 3 days later!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,121
    marcusjb wrote:

@marcusjb - 28's !! I thought I... on 28's?

28 in a great size, comfy, still fast - the roads are not going to be getting better any time soon. Comfort outweighs outright speed in most long distance endeavours. I am happy on 28 for 250 miles a day, however, I have stuff coming up that is more 350-400 a day, so hopefully these tyres will get me there a little faster. Shame I can only get the 25, going to be weird on narrow tyres!

I think (hope) we will see more and more tyres at 28 and frames to take them. For real world riding, it makes so much sense to be wider.

Yes, but you are a nutter :wink:

I agree with the latter statement.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rickeverett
    wtf?

how do you do 400 miles in a day? even at 20mph average thats 20hours. :shock:

either your superman, or live in a very flat area with a strong tail wind.
  • marcusjb
    wtf?

how do you do 400 miles in a day? even at 20mph average thats 20hours. :shock:

either your superman, or live in a very flat area with a strong tail wind.

24 hour TT. The big boys will be doing over 500.

I would like to reach 375, 400 if I am lucky - my first go at it. I've done (just) over 300 miles in 24 hours, with luggage, no aero bars etc.