Under 500£: used or new?

usumdelphini
usumdelphini Posts: 22
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
After my wonderful Trek Pilot 1.0 got stolen, I don't have much budget for a new bike, but I really need it. It has been a big shock for me and I wasnt' in the mood of looking online for a used bike, so I have been wondering about buying a new bike instead.
If you had to buy a sportive road bike (for commuting and weekend rides) under 500£, right now, would you go for:

- Used or new?

- If used: which model would you be looking for? Personally, before I had it stolen, I was very happy with my Trek Pilot 1.0, bought on ebay, but right now I can't find anything comparable near to where I live, what other similar bikes would you consider?

- If new: which model would you be go for? (I've been looking online, and found just the Carrera Virtuoso and few other models interesting around 400/500£) Anything else I should consider? Is the Carrera Virtuoso better or worse in your opinion than a Boardman Sport, for example?

Thanks a lot :)

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    add another £100 and get the planet-x RT58 alloy with tiagra?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Would help if we know what size you are looking for. Many of the best sale bargains are restricted in the choice of sizes.

Also when trawling the classifieds it would allow a better means of targeting possible candidates.

For example - this might fit the bill if you are after a 54cm

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12966689
  • Actually I am after a 54, and that bike looks great, the only problem is that I would need to put a rack on it, and that one doesn't mount it unfortunately :(

What do you think of the Carrera Virtuoso? Is the shifting system, the chainset, etc of any good in your opinion?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    If you really can't go up on cost then the best bet are the classifieds on here.
    I think (hope?) the regular posters are probably going to be more honest in the descriptions than a chancer on ebay or gumtree.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    seat post mounted rack?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • darkhairedlord, What do you mean by the classifieds on here?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40108

you probably want to click on road bieks bit in the for sale
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Actually I am after a 54, and that bike looks great, the only problem is that I would need to put a rack on it, and that one doesn't mount it unfortunately :(

What do you think of the Carrera Virtuoso? Is the shifting system, the chainset, etc of any good in your opinion?

The Carrera that you seem a bit fixated on doesn't have rack mounts either on the seat stays although it does have eyelets on the drop-outs. As t4tomo says you can get mounting systems for racks that get round any shortcomings on most if not all road bike frames.

Don't get me wrong - the Carrera is a fairly decent entry level road bike but I think you would get more bang for your buck by checking out the classifieds on this site.
  • What about a Mekk Pinerolo AL ZR ?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are confident with bikes and prepared to take a bit of time there are alot of really good used bikes at good prices. Just don't worry about walking away if a used bike is not what you expected. Some used bike are wrecks or stolen.

If you need the backup of a good local bike shop for sizing , maintenance, getting a good quality new bike no one else has ridden etc. Check out the brand new 2013 bikes on sale at reduced prices as you will get more for your money that way. Thats what I did and got a £900 bike for £700.
  • Thanks for the advice! I tested the Carrera and didn't like it. Poor frame, very heavy and also the shifting didn't feel great. So I will wait for a good used bike, I think!

I will have a look at the Mekk pinerolo anyway, could you give your impression about this bike please?
  • I really like it. Nice spec. Lightweight. Comfortable. Smooth ride. Only niggle would be the awful white bar tape. But that's something easily changed. But all in all great for price and my requirements
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Defy 3 in the Classifieds for £295

I sold my Tiagra Trek 1.5 for £300 in very good condition. There are some good 2nd hand bikes around. (These retailed around £800 3 years ago.

Stick an advert on the Wanted section in the Classifieds,
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    New - less hassle, nothing to replace.

You can get a Moda Intro new on E-Bay for well under 500 quid, comes with Tiagra. Merlin cycles own brand are good value too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.