New wheels

Simon430
Simon430 Posts: 118
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I'm looking for a new wheelset as my current wheelset rims are worn out, dura ace c24. I'm looking for advice really what rim/hub combo would be best for me. I'm 60-65kg, so I'm fairly light and like going up hills. I do race crits/road.

I think I've settled on the HED ardennes rim. But unsure on what hub to go for. I don't want dura ace but like the look of the american classic micro 58 front hub with the 205 rear laced with CX-ray spokes, comes out to around £650 on Just Riding Along.

Any suggestions/opinions on these options? Or is there something better?

Thanks,
Simon

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Nice, but the AC hubs are really second tier, no better than the Novatec 291/482. Just to give you an idea, Planet X used AC hubs for their builds a few years ago, then they switched to Novatec
    left the forum March 2023
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I can`t stop reading the Wheelsmith website just now. Have to say, his hoops look superb, and superb value as well.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    unless you are racing or doing TT and want every last watt (really about 1W) then I would not bother with CX-rays. Laser spokes offer no real downside here, you are light and the rims are stiff. I also would not bother with the AC hubs.

If you want a low cost hubset that is reliable then Miche other wise the Novatec hubs are lighter but they don't like the wet much. If you want light and reliable in the wet you have to fork out for White industries T11's. Hub weight though make no difference to wheel perfomance.

HED rims on the novatec would be a light build but HED rim on Miche would do the same job perform just as well and the bearings would last longer. Or go with Hope hubs e.t.c there are so many choices but none of them would involve american classic hubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Simon430
    Simon430 Posts: 118
    Concern us is rims are good, hubs bad choice. Need more reading on hubs then. Thanks for the replies.