Saddles

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to replace my current saddle as it looks like I stole it from somebody's bin such is the wear to it. It's a Selle Italia X1 (came with the bike) I'm happy with the shape and how it feels to sit on but the plastic shell is so flexy that it likes to make quite a bit of noise sometimes.

Can anybody recommend a stiffer saddle with the same shape?
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    I have the same problem. It creaks every time I go over a bump. I thought it was the seat post but seems it is the plastic shell flexing. I like the shape too. How about a more expensive Selle Italia sadddle? The SLR is nice for a lot more money. Have a look on the Ribble site, they seem to do Selle Italia saddles cheap.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    birdie23 wrote:
    I'm looking to replace my current saddle as it looks like I stole it from somebody's bin such is the wear to it. It's a Selle Italia X1 (came with the bike) I'm happy with the shape and how it feels to sit on but the plastic shell is so flexy that it likes to make quite a bit of noise sometimes.

Can anybody recommend a stiffer saddle with the same shape?

Are you sure it's the shell making noise and not the clamp / rail interface? Try a little lube on the rails / clamp and see how it goes.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I'll give that ago, though I still need to replace it really as it looks horrendous from where my legs have rubbed against it.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    birdie23 wrote:
    I'll give that ago, though I still need to replace it really as it looks horrendous from where my legs have rubbed against it.

A well used saddle is a badge of honour (as long as it still does the job).

Keep it.