Frame size?

tk72
tk72 Posts: 18
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Looking to get my first road bike and wondering what frame size would be best? I am 5ft 9 and not sure about the best way to go?

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Some folk will tell you to go and get a bike fit and others would hope that the shop or online measuring will point you in the right direction, the choice is yours.
    I'm just over 5'9" and I'm roughly around 53/54 top tube.
    Look for the Top Tube measurement and not the frame size because they're all over the place.....A 56 Cube has a 53 TT, a medium Giant TCR has a 55.5 TT.
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    Hi there :)

Its all a bit vague,every bike manufacturer has different frame sizes and geometery that is specific to them ,,a 54 cm on a cube is not exactly the same as a scott 54cm frame if you see what i mean ,you have to look at the specs concerning TT length ,seat to crank measurements it really make a difference to do a little research .

Being its your first road bike it hard to know what the ideal riding position should be,i had too large frame the first road bike i brought ,i rode it for year ,,but was getting back ache after and during rides ,numb hands ,sore shoulders?
    I thought that was normal and my body was just getting used to the riding position.
    I got a another bike after some research and looking a bike sizing posts here with a smaller frame TT ,,it suddenly just clicked and felt great ,,,so i advice you find the bikes you like ,check the frame sizes geos,,,check the manufacturers height guide ,go to LBS and sit on various bikes different sizes 52cm 54cm ,xs ,small ,medium ..test ride as many as you can...ask questions .
    Buy a bike :D

Buy a bike
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Bozman wrote:
    Some folk will tell you to go and get a bike fit and others would hope that the shop or online measuring will point you in the right direction, the choice is yours.
    I'm just over 5'9" and I'm roughly around 53/54 top tube.
    Look for the Top Tube measurement and not the frame size because they're all over the place.....A 56 Cube has a 53 TT, a medium Giant TCR has a 55.5 TT.

This - but also check the seat tube angle, a 74 STA will need a 1cm shorter top tube to achieve the same overall reach compared to a frame with a 73 deg STA.

I'm 5' 8.5", but longer legs proportionally than my torso. I'm generally a medium/54 frame, with 54.5 cm top tube and 73.5 deg STA, 110m stem. That's my reference.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    If it is your first road bike I would advise you to visit a few shops once you have narrowed down the bikes you are interested in. Sit on them and try as many of the frame sizes as you can, that will give you a feel for being either to hunched up or to stretched out. As already mentioned it is the reach to the bars that is important, not just the length of the seat tube/saddle height. You need to decided which geometry suits you the best.