New to MTB...looking to get up to long distance fast - tips?

bairn7
bairn7 Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys

I'm very much new to cycling. Haven't cycled in years. I'm an ultra runner but have picked up a couple of hamstring injuries (tear and tendonitis) which means I'm expected to be out for a couple of months.

The only thing I can do without pain is cycling so one of my friends has kindly let me borrow his spare bike so that I can keep some fitness up. My plan is to commute to work 3 out of 5 days (8 miles each way) and ride long at the weekends. I want to build up to a couple of long rides of 100-120 miles so that I can keep my stamina up whilst I wait to return to running. Thinking of doing the John Muir Way (one day) and the West Highland Way (2 days).

Given that I've forgotten pretty much everything about cycling, I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me along. Specifically (1) what are my 'must have' cycling items for such long rides (eg repair kit?/ spare tubes? etc). At the moment I'm thinking gloves, padded shorts, spare tube, repair kit, allan keys.

And (2) for those of you who have tackled these kind of distances, any distance-specific tips/experiences that I might find useful to know?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get ready for a seriously sore butt until it toughens up.

And welcome.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bairn7
    Hehe, yeah, I think I'm mentally prepared for that. I'm quite bony with not much padding in the rear so expect quite a bit of achey-ness! All part of the fun ;)
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Mobile phone and some cash for Tea & Cake :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    2 spare tubes (min), levers (though not normally needed for MTB), pump. chain links. camelback. possibly a shock pump if you have duff rockshox like I have. bringing a bit of Savlon isn't a bad idea on big distances like that! a spare gear cable helps, you will almost never need it but you certainly don't want to break one out in the middle of nowhere. And some cable ties, just because.
  • Padded shorts, comfortable saddle and lots of cream for the sore bits. Energy gels / flapjacks for the inevitable energy loss.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I'd add a mech hanger to the spares list and also a small med kit just in case. Tip wise... Won't lecture you on fluid intake but find out about and plan your water stops in advance, take a 5min break every hour and eat something in that time, personally I find zipvit zv8 bars really good. Avoid takin long breaks and learn to eat in the saddle.
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    The bike essentials are pretty much covered, and whilst it's a very different kind of exercise, your fitness will help you out.

My point would be more to do with skill-level and bike control. Try and work out your base skill-level vs the level required for the terrain you'll be riding and understand if you have a skills gap. Then it's either practice, practice, practice and/or get some training from friends or a coach.

Recommend trying to find someone to ride with.

Enjoy
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • bairn7
    Thanks all, some really good advice there :)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Have fun. Mountain biking should not be a grim slog - so mix up your stamina riding with some flowing singletrack and maybe the odd technical feature, just to keep it interesting. As an ultra runner, you may may not care if it's all dull and hard work, though :D
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    To build up to that sort of distance use your commute for intervals/training. This will be easier if you stick to the roads and run road rubber like Gatorskins or Duranos and lock out your suspension or get a cheap road bike.

Monday Morning Commute, low intensity Recovery Ride
    Monday Afternoon Commute 2 miles warm up 5 miles intervals - half mile on half mile off - one mile cool down
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday Morning Commute 2 miles warm up 5 miles intervals - half mile on half mile off - one mile cool down
    Wednesday Afternoon Commute 1 mile warm up 2.5 miles ride at pace, 80-90% maxHR 90-100RPM 1 mile off, 2.5 mile at pace, 1 mile cool down
    Thursday Rest
    Friday Morning Commute 2 miles warm up 5 miles intervals - half mile on half mile off - one mile cool down
    Friday Afternoon Commute Time Trial your commute
    Saturday/Sunday:
    2-3 hrs skills session at a local MTB park to work on your technique, identify weaknesses
    Longer MTB ride, start at 30 miles and ramp each successive week by 15 miles
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bairn7
    A training schedule...that's what I like to see! Thank you Initialised :)
  • Initialised
    Figured that'd float your boat coming from Ultra Running.

Have you considered entering an event like the Rat Race: The Crossing?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    West Highland way is a cracking route. Not so good along Loch Lomond where it's very rooty and there are sections that are unrideable. From the top of Loch Lomond it's a hard days ride or a comfortable 2 day staying somewhere like The Kings House.

First time I ever snapped a chain was coming out of Tyndrum first time I rode the route. Gutted! Fortunately one of the guys riding behind wasn't as dumb and not only had a spare link but also a chain breaker. Multitool with a chainbreaker a very good idea.

If you're up that way you'll be aware of the midges, if not make sure you've got repellent, we stopped to repair a puncture one of the guys had, those with shorts looked as though they had exploded ants nests all over their legs, would have killed me!

Enjoy
  • Initialised
    defride wrote:
    If you're up that way you'll be aware of the midges, if not make sure you've got repellent, we stopped to repair a puncture one of the guys had, those with shorts looked as though they had exploded ants nests all over their legs, would have killed me!
    Oh yeah, the midges! I snapped my chain on a ride from Aveimore to Loch Eainich, I must have fed every Midge in the glen while I was fixing it!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    bit of cross-training won't hurt. I run once a week - def helps to work some other muscles and it's obviosuly good for stamina training.

Also on big climbs - alternate sitting and spinning with short bursts out of the saddle...it all helps
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I would imagine being an ultra runner that you're already closer to your ambition than half the riders on the forum (including myself!).
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607