Single speed wheelset

Supergoose
Supergoose Posts: 1,089
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm after a new set of wheels need them for a budget build so nothing fancy required.

What would you recommended?
Rock 'n' Roule

Comments

• dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I use a pair of the following on one of my fixed gears;
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mic ... t-ec029342

They seem pretty good for the price
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • wrayste
    wrayste Posts: 23
    I've been running Halo Aerorage road up front and track at the rear (with a flip-flop hub) and have been very happy with them. They have handled some terrible roads well now for near 1.5 years.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Halo Aerorage track wheels - bombproof. I punctured my rear for a 2nd time in the pi$$ing rain 10km from home riding my fixed gear bike yesterday - I was soaked and couldn't be bothered stopped again so simply battered along on a flat rear - got home and the rim is true and unscathed. (Don't try this with a flat front!)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Supergoose
    Cheers for the replies guys.

I take it the Miche and Halo rims don't have a machine d brake surface. My preference would be a machined surface with a wear indicator.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    The Miche I linked to might be the newer wheelset they offer, the rim is just anodised which will eventually wear off but they do offer them as follows (which is what I have):
    http://urbancyclery.co.uk/Wheels/miche- ... -wheel-set

Not sure on the Halo rims.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Supergoose
    Much appreciated DK.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    V-Sprint (Jess Varnish's dad) does track wheels with machined braking surfaces from £104: http://www.v-sprintwheels.com/pages/track-wheels-custom.html
    I'm sure Ugo or Cycle Clinic can say what they think of the components - but they're pretty cheap at that price.

He posts (used to post) as varno on here and does a fair bit on lfgss (he used to give a discount through that place)...
  • Supergoose
    Cheers Mroli
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • wrayste
    wrayste Posts: 23
    Supergoose wrote:
    I take it the Miche and Halo rims don't have a machine d brake surface. My preference would be a machined surface with a wear indicator.

The Halo Aerorage have a machined brake surface, this is what I have on my single-speed. The Halo Aerotrack rims have either a painted or anodised rim, the former being not suitable for braking on apparently. I haven't looked for a wear indicator on mine so I can't comment on that.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I was soaked and couldn't be bothered stopped again so simply battered along on a flat rear - got home and the rim is true and unscathed.

You are a bad man. Or dog. I take it you didn't have a second spare inner? I rode home in torrential rain yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Dunno what I'd have done in your place...