Beginner Help Required

CameronStewart
CameronStewart Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hey folks,

Basically looking for some advice.

I have decided I would love to start cycling to work a few days a week, its around three miles, mostly on road and a bit of paths.

However I would love to start doing longer cycles in the future with my girlfriend, explore Scotland and take in the sights.

My question is, should I look for a roadbike or a cross road bike?

And does anyone know any good solid bikes I should go for, for a complete beginner?

Thanks

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Hi there, you could consider a hybrid as fine for short commutes on roads and paths, or even longer routes in future. If you really get into cycling then go for a more expensive road bike.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Tandem, make her ride up front.
  • Get a road bike - get the one that fits you best that you can afford - don't even entertain buying one unless you get a decent test ride on it (not just a spin round an lbs car park!). Specialized Concept Stores have in stock, or can easily access, big demo fleets they will let you have for a week or so as do many many others - search around take your time and enjoy with confidence once you buy!

PS - Unless your rich then just buy pretty looking ones until you find one you like - send the rejects to me I will dispose of them in a humane and environmentally friendly way for you for no fee.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    It depends on how keen you are to tour Scotland. Road bikes are ideal for road riding but pretty much useless for anything else. When touring you want the bike to carry the weight and most road bikes have no means of attaching a rack or mudguards.

A decent cross bike offers the opportunity to commute, stick a rack on and tour, a bit of off road and day riding at the weekend. You may not keep up with a chain gang on super-light road bikes and if that's your thing then the road bike is almost a must, beyond that a crosser, tourer or good quality hybrid is a much more practical option.

I love riding my road bike on Sundays but do most of my riding on an ancient Bob Jackson tourer which commutes and has carried me all over the UK. If I was restricted to just one bike I would keep the Bob.

D :D
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    Take a look at audax bikes. These, along with crossers, offer some flexibility of use. Good on the road, comfortable and can be used for a bit of touring. Whatever you decide on, make sure you get a bike that fits. You may get away with it on a 3 mile commute, but a day ride could be a different story.