Steerer tube crack/split

bs1
bs1 Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi, I was hearing a clicking noise coming from my bike when i was pedalling. After taking my bike apart to find out where it was coming from i came accross a crack/split on the top of my steerer tube, i think it may have came from over tightening my steerer top cap or stem bolt. Do i need to buy a new fork or is their any other way to fix this? Will this be ok to cycle on? I have photis but it said they were too big too attach. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Is the crack at the very top? If its a carbon steerer with a bung, and you have the capacity to do so, getting it cut down and slammed may fix it. I am not sure how much I would trust it if it was repaired as the next bump in the road could be enough the open up the crack again.
  • bs1
    Yes it is at the very top running the length for about an inch. I have already cut the tube down bar one spacer so i have taken that out and will see if that helps any. Its a carbon steerer with bung yes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    i wouldn't ride a bike with a cracked steerer, the consequences of failure could be fatal
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    If you can't cut it down to effectively cut it out I'd chuck them. Even if you could, you may not be able to see the crack, but it may still be there in some form. It would worry me riding it after that to be honest, so I'd replace. Oh yes and I'd buy a torque wrench. :D
  • bs1
    Can i replace a stearer tube or will i need a full new fork? Im sure its a full new fork but thought id ask.
  • simonj
    Full...
  • bs1
    Ok thanks for your help
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    New fork I'm afraid - it wouldn't happen to be a Cannondale? They are the only manufacturer who persist with star nuts for carbon steerers when everyone else uses an expander
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • simonj
    The 4 dales we've had have all had expanders, 2012/2013 MY.