Bitex Rear Hub

Wirral_paul
Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi all

I am having some slipping issues with the rear hub on my deep section wheels. The hub looks to be a Bitex RAR13 and has 6 pawls located by a spring. It seems that basically the spring is fairly weak and unless the pawls are extremely clean, they occasionally start sticking a little rather than springing back out to engage properly.

I have searched online for spare parts including a new freehub / pawls and springs, and also looked at the option to replace the ratchet ring if necessary but cant find anything. Are spares available for these hubs at all? I love the wheels and would like to solve this issue properly - even if it means rebuilding the wheel onto a different hub.

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,266
    Hi Paul,

I have a Bitex RAR 13 freehub body for Shimano 10 speed, do you want it? I just need to fit the bearings in. Alternatively I can send you pawls + spring, if you are on Campag
    left the forum March 2023
  • Wirral_paul
    Hi Paolo

That would be fantastic if you dont mind - i'm on Campagnolo indeed. Happy to make a "contribution" towards more bike stuff for yourself - i think i still have your paypal details somewhere. Do you need my address sending again or have you still got it after you built me some wheels (not these ones with the Bitex hub) last year??

Cheers
    Paul
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yeah, send me your address via email and I'll post it on monday. Don't worry about Paypal, I don't need the free hub
  • Wirral_paul
    A big public shout of thanks to Paolo for sending me a spare set of pawls and tension spring. I cleaned the hub out fully, fitted and lubes the moving parts with light oil and refitted.

However - damn thing still slips occasionally!! :(

Not sure if the ratchet ring is worn or its simply down to a weak design with the spring being little more than a metal elastic band - but safe to say its rubbish!!

I've got a solution anyway.......... nice shiny new DT Swiss 240 hubs!! I've taken the wheels to the local wheel builder and am having the hubs sent direct to him from Bike24.de so he can rebuild them while i'm doing LEJOG next week. :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yeah, Bitex freehub are rubbish, despite what the two most "in vogue" builders in the nation think about it... :wink:
  • Wirral_paul
    Haha well i found out via practical experience just what a weak design they are. Really happy with the decision to go with the DT Swiss hubs anyway - following you advice again Paolo. Cant wait to get the wheels back now - very unnerving when they constantly slipped when putting any real power through them!! :(
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Yeah, Bitex freehub are rubbish, despite what the two most "in vogue" builders in the nation think about it... :wink:

Wheelsmith + Planet X?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Planet X don't use Bitex... :wink: