Charity Cycle, Questioning bike's capabilities

tomhutchings
tomhutchings Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I have just signed up to an extreme charity cycle at work; to cycle from Melksham in Wiltshire to Monte Carlo in Monaco. a cycle of approximately 850 miles to be completed in 9 days, I will be cycling around 85 miles a day. I am fairly confident I can get my fitness to a good enough standard, but I'm questioning my bike's suitability and capabilities.

I own a 2012 Giant Rapid 3. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/rapid.3/9318/49830/#specifications with the addition of SPD pedals. not sure if this bike will be comfortable enough to cycle this many miles. Ideally I would like to buy a proper road bike, but my finances do not make this possible. As a compromise I am thinking of converting the bike to dropdown bars, and changing to SPD-L pedals instead.

Some help with this would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I wouldn't say that putting drop bars on would help with the comfort :wink:

Look at some better tyres (and wheels if budget allows).
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The problem I had with flat bars was the lack of change of grip - but it looks like you have bar end horns which should alleviate that.
    A drop bar bike often allows the rider to be in a more aerodynamic position, but it takes time to get used to this.

It's never really worth converting a (normal) bike to drop bars - the cost of the kit makes it more sensible to sell and buy a different model. You also have to consider geometry if you did convert as flat bar bikes geometry may not suit drops.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Changing pedals won't make you more comfortable either. Only if you believe the hype about platform size. Shoes make more of a difference than pedal system.

As others have said, converting a bike to drops is very expensive and may end up with something that really doesn't handle all that well.

Stick with what you've got.

Whilst it's a long way each day, unless you're racing, just take it steady, move your hands about a lot and you'll be fine. Do some longer rides in the build up, preferably some good back-to-back days. Address any niggles both with the bike and with your position. Eat, drink, pace yourself.

Looks a fine bike for the endeavour.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    sorry, but i can't resist, you say...
    850 miles to be completed in 9 days, I will be cycling around 85 miles a day

...so, who's doing the other 85 miles?

anyway, hope it goes well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    You could consider clip-on TT bars - this would be a very cheap way of giving you the option of changing position and be more aero. Some forumlites consider this to be style suicide, but several serious long distance guys have done this with flat bars. Definitely have a practice first though, and only use on the straights until you know what you are doing.

I'm intrigued by a long distance ride starting in Melksham (which is just down the road from me) - it's not a town that I usually associate with Monte Carlo.
  • Why would SPD pedals be unsuitable?
  • Thanks for the advice, I am going to see what sort of bikes other people are using and then make my mind up from there. Spoke to a few bike shops too and they said it isn't worth messing up the bike because the geometry of the frame might not be suitable for drop bars.

Someone suggested spd-l pedals would be more comfortable because of the larger surface area under my foot. But I'm going to stick with the shoes and pedals I have, never caused me any problems.

I meant to put 95 miles.

The company I work for are sponsoring the ride, they are providing the support vehicles and our food water. So we are starting from our office.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck! You're right to take on board the advice re: bars and pedals. Your bike will be fine. Key thing is to practice back to back rides so you get your legs used to cycling when tired from the day before.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    A520 pedals (currently £25 from a well-known on-line retailer) give a larger SPD platform. These are single sided and look more roady. However, for steady 80-90 mile rides you may not notice any difference.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you just want a more comfortable ride, then the best advice would be a proper bike fit. Poor fit is what makes a bike uncomfortable. Changing anything without knowing what is wrong may not fix the problem and could make it worse.

This is assuming that you are finding something uncomfortable about the bike as it is? If not then either get a bike fit or dont change anything.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I have just signed up to an extreme charity cycle at work; to cycle from Melksham in Wiltshire to Monte Carlo in Monaco. a cycle of approximately 850 miles to be completed in 9 days, I will be cycling around 85 miles a day. I am fairly confident I can get my fitness to a good enough standard, but I'm questioning my bike's suitability and capabilities.

I own a 2012 Giant Rapid 3. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/rapid.3/9318/49830/#specifications with the addition of SPD pedals. not sure if this bike will be comfortable enough to cycle this many miles. Ideally I would like to buy a proper road bike, but my finances do not make this possible. As a compromise I am thinking of converting the bike to dropdown bars, and changing to SPD-L pedals instead.

Some help with this would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

Hi Tom I might be able to assist you

www.d2ride.co.uk
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can you get your company to start a cycle scheme - like this ? http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

I'd not want to ride that distance on a flat bar bike. You'll be on it for what 7 - 8 hours per day for 10 days ?

You need a suitable bike and you need one that fits you correctly.

Why doesn't my company do anything good like this ? Pah !
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You'll be fine, you have bar ends so you can change hand position and the 25mm tyres are pretty much stock road tyres nowadays anyway.p, that bike is a very road focused hybrid.

I found A520 pedals more comfortable than the standard M520 SPDs, I wouldn't change to SPD-SL, waste of money as you'll need new shoes and no comfort difference.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cougie wrote:
    Can you get your company to start a cycle scheme - like this ? http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

They do have this scheme, however I am only with the company for another 6 months (I am a student and with the company for a year in industry), so unfortunately I can not use this scheme :(

The other people I am riding with are using road bikes, so I think I might just have to open up my budget a bit and buy a new bike, (new for me anyway, I will have a look on ebay).
    t4tomo wrote:
    I found A520 pedals more comfortable than the standard M520 SPDs, I wouldn't change to SPD-SL, waste of money as you'll need new shoes and no comfort difference.
    I have these pedals already and think they are great, i have had no problems with them.

Thank you for everyone's advice greatly appreciated!
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    If your bike is comfortable over 50 or so miles then i wouldn't change a thing.

Certainly, the worst thing you could do is change anything a week or two before the event.
    If you do make any changes to seat or handlebar height, for a more comfy upright ride, then do it now with a proper bike fitting so you have plenty of time to let your bod adjust to it.

Great ride, good luck.. Wish I was on it..
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk