Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Time to crack out the dry lube?

Wormishere1Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

As the trails round by me have dried up a fair bit recently would it be wise to move onto a dry lube over a wet lube? I have noticed my chain is getting covered in dust and censored after each ride which I guess will cause it to wear quicker? Is this right?
Remember Rule #5

Posts

  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    Yes, wet lube plus particles = grinding paste, or you could try a wax as used by that cycling god known as Cooldad (which I hate to admit I'm going to try when I next get a new chain!)
  • nasha48nasha48 Posts: 228
    "Squirt" wax based lube for dry and damp conditions. Very good stuff indeed - £8 well spent.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    The Rookie wrote:
    that cycling god known as Cooldad (which I hate to admit I'm going to try when I next get a new chain!)
    You called, my son?

    But no way are you trying me. Unless you wear a mask.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • Wormishere1Wormishere1 Posts: 284
    Cheers, will try and dig out my chain cleaner and get it sparkling before I move over to the dry side!
    Remember Rule #5
  • Angus YoungAngus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Rookie wrote:
    You could try a wax as used by that cycling god known as Cooldad

    Squirt. I tried it based on 'dad's recommendation and I have to say, so far, pretty good stuff. I think I'm converted.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I use finish line wet lube all year, always have (assuming I even lube my chain).
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 3,122
    I use finish line wet lube all year, always have (assuming I even lube my chain).
    As did I until very recently, when I took up 'dads recommendation for Squirt.

    So far, so good - preformance in dry conditions is very good - chain has not developed a heavy coating of grinding paste as with Finish Line wet. Remains to be seen how it goes in the wet
  • DaerveDaerve Posts: 33
    I'm on to dry now, much better in the summer than the wet stuff.
  • mcnultycopmcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Squirt is good, but you have to strictly follow the guidelines, like with a mogwai.
  • FishFishFishFish Posts: 2,152
    Hi,

    As the bums round by me have dried up a fair bit recently would it be wise to move onto a lube over a wet tube? I have noticed my d**k is getting covered in censored after each ride which I guess will cause it to wear quicker? Is this right?


    yes.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

    jeez :roll:
  • jimothy78jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The Rookie wrote:
    you could try a wax as used by that cycling god known as Cooldad (which I hate to admit I'm going to try when I next get a new chain!)

    I've also bowed to the pressure and bought a bottle of Squirt. My chain's gonna need replacing sometime soon anyway, so would seasoned users recommend stripping down the new chain and starting with Squirt from new, or would they run the chain using the factory lube for a bit, and wait until it needs cleaning before stripping and "Squirt"ing?
  • Chunkers1980Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I never strip new chains
  • Angus YoungAngus Young Posts: 3,063
    jimothy78 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    you could try a wax as used by that cycling god known as Cooldad (which I hate to admit I'm going to try when I next get a new chain!)

    I've also bowed to the pressure and bought a bottle of Squirt. My chain's gonna need replacing sometime soon anyway, so would seasoned users recommend stripping down the new chain and starting with Squirt from new, or would they run the chain using the factory lube for a bit, and wait until it needs cleaning before stripping and "Squirt"ing?

    Due to the nature of the product I'd be tempted to strip and Squirt straight way.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    I would leave it. The factory lube is normally excellent stuff, but more importantly is inside the rollers where you need it.
    Give it a month or two until it needs lubing and then degrease and Squirt.
    Bear in mind that you don't need any lube at all on the outside bits of the chain. The only reason for putting it on the outside is so it oozes inside.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • jimothy78jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    cooldad wrote:
    I would leave it. The factory lube is normally excellent stuff, but more importantly is inside the rollers where you need it.
    Give it a month or two until it needs lubing and then degrease and Squirt.

    yep, thought that would be the consensus, but wanted to make sure.
Sign In or Register to comment.