First 50!!

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
It wasn't planned, but the sun was shining on Friday so got out and did my first 50miler! So pleased with my little self. My previous longest ride was 42miles last September and I planned a route on Friday over the Snake Pass (for those that know it) which would have got me back home on 45miles - added a little trip around town before heading home and ended up with 54.5miles, 4585ft of climb and done in a little over 3.5hours. And the worst after-effect was a bit of sunburn!! Plenty of others out on the roads so if you passed me, you were witnessing a bit of history!! (well, my history anyway!).

I did 32miles last Wednesday, 19 on Thursday and then that on Friday so over 100miles in three rides over three days (and then sneaked 26miles on the MTB in on Saturday).
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Roll on the 100miler later in the year then!
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    Well done lad!
    I did my first fifty last year ,its a great feeling :D
    3.5 hours in a pretty decent time too,Its near to what time i do on a good day :?

I have done a few 45s this year ,but really planning a 75 miler before trying a 100 miler.Though my health is a bit like the weather at moment .

I have heard of snake pass ,looks like a beautiful road to cycle.
    Good luck hope you do a few more 50s ,,you will soon find anything less than 40 miles is breeze!
  • Schoie81
    Rodders - Well I feel more confident of going onto to a 100mile ride after the first 50 than I did about going on to a running a marathon after running 13miles for the first time - that's not going to happen!!

Hollow-legs. Thanks, was happy with the time and still felt ok up until the last 2miles (but I think that's psychological as the last 2miles back home always seem like 2miles too far, whether I've done 15miles or 50miles...). Views are stunning over 'The Snake', and going east to west its not too bad - not too steep but plenty of miles of climbing with a little nasty steeper bit near the top. Coming the other way its not as long but quite a bit steeper - maybe that's for next time!! More 50s definitely planned - time is my problem, the missus took the kids away for a few days last week which gave me the day to go out on the bike!! Just don't get many chances like that.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Well done, my first fifty miler started with 25 miles cycling into a strong wind a lot of uphill. It was tough going but the way back was much easier.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Admit it, you got lost didn't you? ;)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Hinzy9
    Hinzy9 Posts: 72
    Congratulations on the 50. I also did 50+ on Friday in the peak district, mine included a ride up winnats pass (not for the faint hearted0.

How was the ride up the snake pass? I've considered it many times but always figured the traffic would be pretty bad up there.
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • Schoie81
    Kieran - ok, yes, In fact, I'm still out there somewhere.... :wink: It wouldn't be the first time if I had got lost!

Hinzy - still not been brave enough for Winnats, I've been up Pindale out of 'the back' of Castleton which was bad enough for me!! Winnats is still a 'one day' for me. The Snake wasn't too bad climb wise - I tackled it East to West which is long but not too steep, the other way looks a bit steeper, but not as long.... I actually expected the traffic to be bad, but it was fine - very pleasantly surprised!
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    well done, great effort :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Hinzy9
    Hinzy9 Posts: 72
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Kieran - ok, yes, In fact, I'm still out there somewhere.... :wink: It wouldn't be the first time if I had got lost!

Hinzy - still not been brave enough for Winnats, I've been up Pindale out of 'the back' of Castleton which was bad enough for me!! Winnats is still a 'one day' for me. The Snake wasn't too bad climb wise - I tackled it East to West which is long but not too steep, the other way looks a bit steeper, but not as long.... I actually expected the traffic to be bad, but it was fine - very pleasantly surprised!

Great- I think I'll give snake a go this weekend!
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Well done :)

I think sometimes you have to just go and do it.
    Went out with a mate a couple of weeks ago and his furthest this year was 41 miles but he ended up doing 75.
    Tired at the end but glad he did it.
    If you keep fuelled along the way. My stamina hits a shaky spot around the 50 odd mile mark but if I get through it, I feel strong again.
    Didn't think too much about the last club run and came away with 107 miles whereas I'd normally be put off by the distance beforehand.