Handbuilt disc wheels - does this sound ok?

2»

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Yes, silver and black rims look best. Ta.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Just a word of caution with the archetype rims if you're going to use them over the winter.

They appear (in my unlucky experience) to collect salt inside the rim which then eats away at the aluminium around the nipples.

I'm sure this happens with other rims too but keep an eye on them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    patrickf wrote:
    Just a word of caution with the archetype rims if you're going to use them over the winter.

They appear (in my unlucky experience) to collect salt inside the rim which then eats away at the aluminium around the nipples.

It does happen to all rims. I am not sure it's salt, as last winter they didn't spread any salt at all round here. It's likely to be Al2O3, aluminium oxide, "blossoming" around the holes. It is entirely normal if you use your rims on wet roads and normally doesn't compromise the rims life too much
    left the forum March 2023
  • patrickf
    patrickf wrote:

It does happen to all rims. I am not sure it's salt, as last winter they didn't spread any salt at all round here. It's likely to be Al2O3, aluminium oxide, "blossoming" around the holes. It is entirely normal if you use your rims on wet roads and normally doesn't compromise the rims life too much
    Interesting - mine definitely had a *lot* of salt (or perhaps as you say alu oxide) inside the rims and it kept furring out of the spoke holes. I kept cleaning them but they kept furring until I took the rim tape off and thoroughly cleaned inside.

They do have a a fair few chunks out of the rims around the nippes. Luckily it doesn't appear to have caused structural damage.

While these wheels only really come out in decent weather now, that's not exactly practical on a commute. Is there anything you can do to prevent this from happening? I need to start looking at replacent wheels only commuter bike (these aren't the archetypes)

Cheers Ugo!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Nothing you can do
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Got the hubs this week, £85 and delivered in less than a week from Taiwan. I am impressed.

regarding rims, i have been using open pros for 3 winters now and have never noticed that problem you guys describe. Is this something that only happens to these wider rims?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ugo.santalucia
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Got the hubs this week, £85 and delivered in less than a week from Taiwan. I am impressed.

regarding rims, i have been using open pros for 3 winters now and have never noticed that problem you guys describe. Is this something that only happens to these wider rims?

Open PRO have stainless eyelets, the "problem" if you want to call it this way affects rims with no eyelets... basically all the rims you really really want... :wink:
  • patrickf
    So Open Pros or other rims with eyelets for commuting in cr*p weather and rims without for the good weather bike.

Cheers for your wisdom Ugo.