PTP Amstel Gold Race 2014

Macaloon
Macaloon Posts: 5,545
edited April 2014 in Pro race
After the Wagnerian cobblers, a more contemporary Classic.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/9010331-Amstel-Gold-Race-2014

Date: 20.04.2014
Edition: 49
Race class: 1.UWT
Race category: Int. Men
UCI-Tour: UCI Worldtour

Previous Winners
2013 | KREUZIGER Roman
2012 | GASPAROTTO Enrico
2011 | GILBERT Philippe
2010 | GILBERT Philippe
2009 | IVANOV Serguei
2008 | CUNEGO Damiano
2007 | SCHUMACHER Stefan
2006 | SCHLECK Fränk
2005 | DI LUCA Danilo
2004 | REBELLIN Davide

2014 profile is elusive, but I imagine the Cauberg is involved. This is 2013. I'll edit this when I find this year's model.
Amstel-Gold-Race-1365682904.png

New finish line for the Amstel Gold Race

As of last year, the Amstel Gold Race has a new finish line. The new finish line is located 1.8 kilometers further on from the famous Cauberg in Valkenburg, in exactly the same location as the 2012 cycling World Championships. In addition, this year’s hopefuls must climb the Cauberg twice in the final stages of the race.

The organisers of the only Dutch cycling classic and UCI World Tour event decided to change the finish as a result of positive feedback on this new finish line following the 2012 World Championships. Amstel Gold Race course director Leo van Vliet himself witnessed the success of the new finish line on account of his role as coach for the Dutch men’s elite team.

By shifting the finish line we expect a more exciting, interesting final phase and arrival. From here on out, overcoming the climb of the Cauberg (800 m, slope 12%) alone will not suffice. The move not only provides a bigger challenge to the riders but also allows for more room for spectators and team facilities.

In the final stages of the race the platoon will ascend the Cauberg before passing through the finish area for the first time. From 2013 onwards however, they will then proceed up the Geulhemmerberg (970m, slope 7.9%) before heading towards Maastricht. They'll return to Valkenburg for one last time via the Bemerlerberg (900m, slope 7%) and the village of Sibbe. The cyclists then climb the Cauberg for one final time, pushing their way through the massive crowds that line the hill every year, and on to the finish in Vilt.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

Comments