Canyon CF SL - Anyone ordered/received delivery yet?

124»

Comments

• velo.2010
    velo.2010 Posts: 48
    Well my Al SLX frame arrived today. First impression, hmmmm. Came in a standard shipping box rather than the fancy bike guard. Bike was fine, thankfully OK after its long journey from Germany. First thing I noticed was the VCLS post which is a different set-up to the one I already have - less setback adjustment - though I can swap so no problem. Quite a big hole in the top tube for the rear brake cable for which a cable stop/cover is provided.

My main issue is the slightly (to me anyway)out of alignment of the rear wheel with regard to the head tube. Now, I understand the frame is inherently asymmetric with the seat tube and rear triangle designed around the drivetrain but my eyes tell me the whole rear wheel lies to the right when viewed from behind.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong though I've used the same wheel on both new and old frame. The welds around the junction of the seat tube and top tube with the stays doesn't help when looking from the rear. Would a mis-alignment of a 3-4 millimetres (if true) be noticeable when riding?

Anyone with any suggestion of a home DIY rig or something I can do the check the alignment for once and for all? My eyes are sore from staring at this stage and I fear looking for a replacement will lead me to finding fault with any new frame in future.

Cheers.
  • swj1
    swj1 Posts: 70
    Slightly off Topic I know but did your AL SLX frame come with a bottom bracket fitted?
  • velo.2010
    velo.2010 Posts: 48
    swj1 wrote:
    Slightly off Topic I know but did your AL SLX frame come with a bottom bracket fitted?

Hi,
    No it didn't! Yeah, I saw the picture of the frame on the website with the BB fitted. Cheeky of them or what! I guess they didn't want a bare looking BB in the beauty shot plus customers will fit either SRAM or Shimano and Canyon won't supply both.

The frameset seemed to come with more bits and bobs too - luxury manual case, more reflector lights, attachments for the torque wrench, and a signed 'best of luck card' from the guy who stuck it together... more stuff than when I got a whole bike off them. All that fuss about accessories aside, it just seems like slightly less effort went into this generation of Ultimate AL frameset, to make it the polished article, than the previous one.

I'll try again in the morning and see what the story is with my frame. Perhaps the smaller geometry (a medium this time instead of large) is playing tricks with my eyes.
  • swj1
    swj1 Posts: 70
    Thanks Velo, I will order a BB.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Highs and lows this week. My CF SL 9.0 was due for shipping last week (week 22), received an e-mail at the start of this week (#23) informing me that it would now not be shipped until week 25.
    However received an e-mail yesterday saying it was beeing prepared for shipping within 48 hours, and have now received confirmation of delivery on Monday. So in the end just a one week delay.

The Canyon UK guys did tell me that they will not be offering the bikes via Bike to Work anymore due to the hassle it caused them, so looks like I will be one of the only fortunate ones to take advantage (although it probably created more stress than the saving was worth).
  • I've given up on them - ordered an Endurace in early June and was promised it within 5-7 days - when I phoned to chase up the order after ten...I was told it would arrive in week 31 (i.e. not for 2 months). When I told them I was cancelling they were totally unconcerned - guess they must be doing well.