Canyon CF SL - Anyone ordered/received delivery yet?

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I'm really surprised that Canyon are still sending bikes out with VCLS seat posts.
    All Canyon road seat posts are VCLS are they not?
    VCLS as standard and VCLS 2.0 as an option.

Why should they not send them out? Are you referring to the issue some have reported with a crack in the seat tube at the seatpost clamp?
    .....Also I ordered bike 2days ago and now its on sale!£200+ cheaper.
    Does this mean I pay the price of bike when shipped?ie current price or that of when ordered?

If latter I'll cancel order and re order again which would be pain in the a&%.

If anyone knows please post
    The contract of sale is agreed when you place the order so you would pay the price agreed when you ordered. This is always the case, not something specific to Canyon.
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    ^^ great so I'll be cancelling my order then and having to reorder... What a pain.

Looks like won't be getting one for a good month at this rate.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    ^^ great so I'll be cancelling my order then and having to reorder... What a pain.

BEFORE you do that ! Send Canyon an email! I saw someone in a similar situation, they emailed and they refunded £200
    Try it
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Don't expect an email reply any time soon. I haven't had a response in five working days despite their phone message stating replies should be received in 2-3 days.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    To add balance, I've sent Canyon a total of 5 emails, all were answered within 24 hours, a couple within 1 hour and my bike came a month early. Feel for you guys having to wait but there's always a good and bad story to be heard.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    To add balance, I've sent Canyon a total of 5 emails, all were answered within 24 hours, a couple within 1 hour and my bike came a month early. Feel for you guys having to wait but there's always a good and bad story to be heard.

To be fair they have been prompt up to last week. I have the added complication of utilising a bike to work scheme. Now worried it will delay the order. Meant to have paid by Monday 12th but they are not responding now to how we will sort out payment. They did, however, warn me that they were new to the scheme and that I'd need to be patient.
  • velo.2010
    velo.2010 Posts: 48
    Well, too good to be true. Frame delayed till week 21 due to 'capacity issues at our German factory'.

They had emailed earlier in the week to due it would be shipped at some stage this week. Disappointing. I'll hang on because of the free accessories and licence offer.
  • Looks a reasonable deal on the AL SLX frame
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • velo.2010
    ^^^ Thanks for pointing that out. So now they go drop the price of the frame I ordered by e100!

Strange, if their having capacity and supply issues that they would go and drop the price of frames - making a rod for their own back down the line. Besides, this new offer will piss off a lot a people who have ordered bikes/frames and have been delayed.

They can expect an earful from a lot of folk next week!
  • Miles253
    velo.2010 wrote:
    ^^^ Thanks for pointing that out. So now they go drop the price of the frame I ordered by e100!

They can expect an earful from a lot of folk next week!

This for sure, wouldn't wanna be Canyon right now
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    velo.2010 wrote:

Strange, if their having capacity and supply issues that they would go and drop the price of frames - making a rod for their own back down the line. Besides, this new offer will wee-wee off a lot a people who have ordered bikes/frames and have been delayed.

Does the price decrease reflect the recent change in the£/Euro exchange rate?
    Last year prices were changing every few days. My price held at the time I ordered despite being over £200 dearer at the point of delivery.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • velo.2010
    Its euro all the way for me here in Ireland. I haven't kept an eye on the exchange rate though Canyon have a history of dropping the frame prices around Grand Tour time irrespective of exchange rates it would appear.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I'm really surprised that Canyon are still sending bikes out with VCLS seat posts.

Why should they not send them out? Are you referring to the issue some have reported with a crack in the seat tube at the seatpost clamp?

Have a read of the other thread. There are 'some' very disappointed owners out there and there is a clear link between them. Canyon can't carry on replacing frames and I suspect will replace these seat posts very soon.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    Miles253 wrote:

Cheers mate I saw your post just before I cancelled order:).
    Sent email and they very quickly responded and said they'd match the price at the time so happy with that part of service.
    Im just worries that due to my bike being very adjustable and needing them to phone me regarding setup I could be in for a long wait.

But atm I'm happy as weather is...atm ;)

BEFORE you do that ! Send Canyon an email! I saw someone in a similar situation, they emailed and they refunded £200
    Try it
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Miles253
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Have a read of the other thread. There are 'some' very disappointed owners out there and there is a clear link between them. Canyon can't carry on replacing frames and I suspect will replace these seat posts very soon.

This is a good point, I wonder if the pro teams have the same issue? As they must go though hundreds of frames a year at the rate that forum users are getting cracks
  • Miles253 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

This is a good point, I wonder if the pro teams have the same issue? As they must go though hundreds of frames a year at the rate that forum users are getting cracks

:D:D:D
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Miles253
    Your grin seems to say 'yes they do, and that's why the delays are so bad'?
  • Mike__
    Mike__ Posts: 18
    I've had mine for a week or so now and it's amazing, coming from a very heavy aluminium bike it's unbelievable how light it is! Just had a few little problems with it though that is slightly souring the experience. I'm getting a bit of noise from the bottom bracket area, can't really pin point the exact area though. Are there any known problems that i should be looking at? I only had the canyon paste to use when putting the pedals on, could that be a possible reason?

Also, i've had trouble with the chain rubbing on the front derailleur when in the big ring. Spent hours fiddling around adjusting it but just can't get it right. Is the new ultegra particularly difficult to set up properly? I've ended up pulling off the metal cap from the end of the cable as well which is annoying, might just have to go to a LBS before i do anymore damage!
  • ai_1
    I've gotten out for a few proper rides on mine now. In general I'm very happy with the bike but like Mike I've a couple of issues slightly spoiling my enjoyment at the moment.

Both relate to the seatpost - at least i think they do!
    Last week during only my second proper ride the seatpost slipped down into the seat tube before stopping at the point where the seatpost starts to flare out (It's a VCLS 2.0). This caused some of the painted finish to flake off the seatpost leaving a slightly uneven surface. It's not really an issue visually but may harm durability and reduce clamping uniformity in future. The post had been installed carefully as per the instructions using the supplied assembly paste and clamped to just shy of the stated maximum torque (5Nm IIRC).
    I removed the post after the ride, inspected it, cleaned off the remaining paste and paint flakes and applied a fresh film before re-fitted the seatpost. There is no evidence of any damage to the frame, seat clamp or seatpost except for the paint on the seatpost. I've ridden it since without any further movement slippage but I don't entirely trust it now.
    The second item is also related to the seatpost. It creaks and cracks...constantly.
    I'm very impressed with the comfort provided by the VCLS 2.0 post. It definitely does make a significant difference on bumps and rough roads. However it also makes noise. I didn't notice it on earlier rides but the saddle and seatpost made constant creaking/cracking/clicking noises as I pedalled on a 60km ride yesterday. At first I thought it was the BB but it's not, it's the seatpost. I don't think this was present before I re-fitted the seatpost but i'm not certain.
    The bike feels great to ride. It's a pretty good fit, looks good but I don't currently trust it and the noises from the seatpost are very irritating. I'll check tonight to be sure the saddle clamps and that the seatpost clamp are still tight - they were all close to max allowed torque when I installed them. Then I'll get on to Canyon.
  • ai_1
    Mike__ wrote:
    ......I only had the canyon paste to use when putting the pedals on, could that be a possible reason?
    the canyon assembly paste is to go between clamped parts like the stem and handlebars, seatpost and seat tube, etc. I don't think it's a good idea to put it on threads. I expect it will increase the resistance to rotation and may prevent the thread from tightening correctly. I would think ideally you should use either threadlock or anti-seize on threaded components as needed.
  • supermurph09
    Hmmmm. Interesting reading the comment above. I've had my Canyon for almost 2 months now, up until yesterday it's been brilliant but yesterday as I was about to ascend Holme Moss my seat post slipped too. Admittedly I have not checked it since originally fitting it, but I wasn't aware I would need to.

Anyway, managed to tighten it up but it was set too low and climbing Holme Moss felt like I was on a 5 year olds bike. Adjusted it again at the top, but still didnt have it quite right so suffered quite badly for 50 miles until I finished my ride. Just shows you how much a bike fit is worth! My seat post creaked all of those last 50 miles having been silent prior to it coming loose. I'm hoping once I reapply some carbon paste and torq wrench it back on at the right height it will be ok and no damage done.

Could the heat have had an effect, in terms of liquidising the paste and then coming loose?
  • ai_1
    Hmmmm. Interesting reading the comment above. I've had my Canyon for almost 2 months now, up until yesterday it's been brilliant but yesterday as I was about to ascend Holme Moss my seat post slipped too. Admittedly I have not checked it since originally fitting it, but I wasn't aware I would need to.

Anyway, managed to tighten it up but it was set too low and climbing Holme Moss felt like I was on a 5 year olds bike. Adjusted it again at the top, but still didnt have it quite right so suffered quite badly for 50 miles until I finished my ride. Just shows you how much a bike fit is worth! My seat post creaked all of those last 50 miles having been silent prior to it coming loose. I'm hoping once I reapply some carbon paste and torq wrench it back on at the right height it will be ok and no damage done.

Could the heat have had an effect, in terms of liquidising the paste and then coming loose?
    Let me know how you get on and I'll do the same!
    As far as I can see the only purpose of the paste is to get the abrasive particles into position. Once clamped I would think the liquid component is irrelevant so I can't imagine heat being an issue. Besides it was only around 16 to 18 degrees on my ride last week when it slipped. A secondary collar clamped directly onto the seatpost above the frame clamp may be a solution to slippage but I won't do it without a thumbs up from Canyon in case they take issue with respect to warranty etc. Plus I don't see it solving the noise issue.
  • ai_1
    I removed, cleaned and carefully re-installed my seatpost the other night using maximum permitted torque to clamp it (5Nm as indicated by the Canyon torque wrench).
    I got out for a 40km ride last night and was pleased to notice that the noise had vanished and the seatpost wasn't slipping.....until just 3km from home when it slipped again! :(
    Paint has also flaked off the seatpost each time it's slipped which means the surface is now uneven since there are patches where the surface is lower because there's a layer of paint missing. I expect this will, if anything, make clamping performance worse. It also means I can no longer use the height scale or see the maximum insertion point marker as they're gone!

There's nothing I'm aware of that I can do to prevent this so I've sent an e-mail to Canyon telling them about the problem. I'll let you know what they say when I get a response.

I have a 140km sportive on Saturday which I was looking forward to doing on my new bike. I'm not sure what to do now. I don't expect the seatpost to stay put for 140km. I could switch the seatpost out for the basic one from my old bike which is also 27.2mm but I can't be certain this will solve the problem - it depends whether the seatpost, seat tube/clamp or both are the source of the problem. Also it's not an acceptable solution. the VCLS 2.0 is an expensive accessory to be discarding!!!
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    All the Lotto-Belisol team bikes now sport the second support seatpost clamp on their team bikes...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ics-41119/

It's something I shall probably end up doing with my SL, when I get around to using it.

Not an ideal solution, but for the extra cost, weight, it's a good solution. Plus, it will take away the need to go to the maximum torque on the frame clamp bolt.

HTH
  • ai_1
    I got a same day reply from Canyon regarding my issues with the VCLS 2.0 post slipping. Their response included the following:

"We do not recommend riders over 80-85kg to ride it as we have had some recent experiences with it slipping at those weights."

I'm about 86kg so I've asked them to exchange my VCLS 2.0 for a standard VCLS and refund the price difference. I presume they'll do so given they've admitting it's a known problem for a rider my weight and since I provided my weight with the other details when ordering.

I'm disappointed that I can't use the VCLS 2.0 since it definitely works very well at producing a comfy ride and it would have worked better than the standard VCLS at providing both my usual riding position and a forward position for use with extensions. However I'll survive with the standard post if it overcomes the slippage problems.
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    Interesting about a 80Kg to 85kg recommendation for the VCLS II post . I have been having the post slip mentioned since the weather warmed up at the weekend, but been reluctant to increase the torque too much at a go, because of the now understood frame stress relief cracking issues. BTW the SLX warranty replacement frame I now have has the larger seat post collar.

Last Saturday hot weather ride, the seatpost had been set at 3Nm torque. Previous weeks ( 10 - 13C temp) ride had no problem. Saturday ( 18 -22C) it would slip 1 cm every 20 miles or so. Fortunately as it was a set up / tuning ride, I had carried the canyon torque tool ... so was diligent in re tightening.

Last ride, sunday ( 20- 23C) , set at 4 Nm torque and it slipped 5mm over a 60mile ride, not much, but, enough to notice.
    Next ride will be set at 4.5Nm
    Before you ask the seat tube and the post were cleaned and coated in carbon paste

I weight about 82kg. Bit annoyed that the weight limit was never specified when I purchased the post, more annoyed about it not being reliable. Given my weight being on the limit I worry if I hit a big bump it may slip.

Any one asked for an exchange for VCLS I and refund from Canyon?
  • ai_1
    .....Given my weight being on the limit I worry if I hit a big bump it may slip.

Any one asked for an exchange for VCLS I and refund from Canyon?
    Yes. I asked and they said they'd exchange for the standard post and refund the upgrade cost.
  • supermurph09
    Just to report back, since tightening the post back up it's been fine and no noise either. I'm 75kg so should not be an issue.
  • ai_1
    I did a 140km sportive yesterday on mine. I had switched in the seatpost from my old bike as a temporary measure and had no problems with this slipping.
    It was the first proper long ride with no issues or distractions and I finally got to really enjoy the bike. I'm very happy with it. It's absolutely fine comfort wise even with a bog standard cheap post. It was a pleasure to ride!
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    Contacted Canyon about the post slipping issue. As usual very good response via e mail from the Canyon UK team.

Proposed solution from Canyon:
    There is a factory "anti tolerance" shim. They are shipping to me from Germany. Will let you all know how that works out when it arrives.