Canyon CF SL - Anyone ordered/received delivery yet?

Comments

• German efficiency - come on guys! In the meantime I have this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwkhUbnFVc

Worth trying to get any freebies from them? Not sure if worth complaining. They might just cancel my order and give it to someone else ha
  • gadam
    gadam Posts: 9
    German efficiency

You can be as efficient as you like if you have a tiny factory, which cannot meet the demand. I think it is unfair what Canyon is doing not just to us but to other bike brands. Most other brands invested in factories and workforce to satisfy customers whereas Canyon is doing the opposite - maintains small number of staff and takes the profit home. It seems Canyon will be the Ryanair of bicycles.
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    I don't think other brands invest to satisfy customers, they invest to make more money!

The last couple of years has seen Canyon get a lot more popular so they clearly are struggling to predict demand. Didn't last year's bike sell out really early as well as have massive delays?
  • I'll give it another month or so if I'm still waiting by June will cancel and re-order once they update the SLX range in October time. Knew I should have ordered it as soon as it was announced :P
  • gadam
    I just cancelled my order. Good luck to the one who finally gets my frame. I'm going for the Cervelo R3. For those who want to join me they're selling the 2013 model for £1050 on jedi-sports.de
  • Its being assembled!!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Mine arrived yesterday.
    I only got my hands on it late last night so I haven't even unpacked it yet. All I've had the chance to do is check it's the correct model, size and colour - which it is.
    I'll be putting it together as soon as i get home this evening - shouldn't take more than 30mins to an hour I assume!
    I'm still recovering from a tough adventure race at the weekend so my legs aren't in great shape plus there's a forecast for rain later so I might not get out on it this evening :(
    Don't want to take it out in the rain until I know it's not going back for any reason.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Mine arrived yesterday.
    I only got my hands on it late last night so I haven't even unpacked it yet. All I've had the chance to do is check it's the correct model, size and colour - which it is.
    I'll be putting it together as soon as i get home this evening - shouldn't take more than 30mins to an hour I assume!
    I'm still recovering from a tough adventure race at the weekend so my legs aren't in great shape plus there's a forecast for rain later so I might not get out on it this evening :(
    Don't want to take it out in the rain until I know it's not going back for any reason.

So glad you've got yours OK, Ai. I've been watching all this with interest after my frustrating saga and eventual cancellation following weeks of delays with my ordered "in stock" SLX. I'm sure you'll be delighted with yours. Canyons represent exceptional value.

Meanwhile, I've nearly doubled my budget and ordered a Legend. Eight week claimed delivery for totally custom-built bike. We'll see if the Italians can beat the Germans on efficiency!
  • Mike__
    Mike__ Posts: 18
    Mines being assembled as well. Perhaps they've got someone from Canyon lurking on these forums and the grumbling has hurried them up a little!
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    As mentioned mine came a month early, last night it bagged its first KOM's. Fantastic bike! :)
  • ai_1
    13885954429_41721613ab_b.jpg
    Well I got mine put together yesterday evening. All very easy.
    I noticed the bike wasn't packed exactly as described in the manual, my tyres and brake pads are slightly scrubbed-in and there was some assembly paste residue on the seatpost and seat tube. So perhaps mine had already been shipped and returned by someone else but since I would return mine if it didn't fit I can hardly complain. Also it appears to be flawless so who cares!

In summary: Post assembly, I'm very happy with the bike! Not properly test ridden yet.

First impressions in a little more detail:

Most importantly the size seems just about spot on. I need to check my fore-aft saddle position but if I have that about right then everything's looking good. As delivered with all the spacers under the stem (25mm) and the saddle top set to about 748mm from the BB, saddle to bar drop is very similar to my existing bike (about 60mm). That's ideal as I definitely don't need the bar any higher and may want to go 10-20mm lower which is right in the middle of the adjustment range. Incidentally if anyone wants specific measurements let me know and I'll do my best.

Never having had the opportunity to see one except in pictures before buying I was relieved that it lives up to my expectations! It's a great looking bike in the flesh! The only thing I'd change is that I'd prefer a gloss paint scheme as it's more practical and hard-wearing but I already new that when I ordered. The down tube and bottom bracket are a little less bulky than I expected which I like. It's a big downtube but not as wide as it seemed in some pictures. Well proportioned I'd say.

The bars are 420mm centre to centre just like my existing bike but that's measured at the back of the drops. At the hoods my it's only about 400mm so feels noticeably narrower than I'm used to. I've big shoulders so hope this won't be a problem. I like the bar shape and the hoods feel very comfortable. We'll see once I get it out for a proper test ride whether the width is okay!

The VCLS 2.0 post has a 100mm range between minimum and maximum insertion in the seatpost. Mine is within less than 10mm of the maximum insertion limit. That's on a size M frame with an inseam of ~835mm and a usual BB centre to saddle top distance of 745mm. I may switch to an ISM Adamo type saddle in the near future which worries me a little because I think the saddle and rails are both deeper than the Fizik Antares on it now and would require the post to be dropped further. Otherwise the VCLS 2.0 seems fine and I'm looking forward to seeing how it feels on the road.

Front brake needs a little tweaking but otherwise everything seems well assembled and set-up. The gears are indexed well etc.

I've attached a few quick low quality pictures taken with my phone. I'll add better ones when I get a chance.
    The photos are the stock bike (Canyon CF SL 9.0, size M with VCLS 2.0 seatpost) plus I've put on Speedplay zero pedals, canyon chain-catcher, canyon bottle cages, a Barfly mount for my Garmin 910XT and a Lezyne femto rear light. Just need to get a saddle bag and it'll be complete.
    13885960428_e9009b0bde_b.jpg
    14069405592_52ba35990a_b.jpg
    14072558155_2dcdd33338_b.jpg
  • supermurph09
    I was surprised by the looks of mine too. Just the one thing..... Dork disc?? :)
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Looks great, and comprehensive review to boot too.
  • ai_1
    I was surprised by the looks of mine too. Just the one thing..... Dork disc?? :)
    Yep, that'll come off as soon as I've done a proper test ride and I'm sure the bike's not going back for any reason!
  • supermurph09
    Bugger to get off as well (if you leave the cassette on)
  • ai_1
    Bugger to get off as well (if you leave the cassette on)
    Nah, I'll whip off the cassette - only takes a minute.
  • Nice review Ai_1, my bike finally comes tomorrow. Going to order some copter tape from 3M to put on the frame to protect it a bit. Totally forgot to order bottle cages, also have the same pedals. Just delivered today, never used but looking forward to giving them a shot.
  • ai_1
    Nice review Ai_1, my bike finally comes tomorrow. Going to order some copter tape from 3M to put on the frame to protect it a bit. Totally forgot to order bottle cages, also have the same pedals. Just delivered today, never used but looking forward to giving them a shot.
    Yeah I have some copter tape ready to put on too.
    I've been using speedplay zeros a couple of years now. I love them, don't think you'll be disappointed. It's worth getting covers for the cleats though. Keep-on covers are worthwhile.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Arrived this afternoon, well packed but... the bar tape is really poorly fitted, ripped in one part and overall quite dirty. Emailed Canyon, offered to pay for LBS to fit and replace... :o
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Good review and sweet looking bike ;)
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Mike__
    Got my e-mail this afternoon to say it's been handed over to UPS, how long does it usually take from then on? I'm away in Germany next Friday for the weekend so i hope it comes before then!
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Mike__ wrote:
    Got my e-mail this afternoon to say it's been handed over to UPS, how long does it usually take from then on? I'm away in Germany next Friday for the weekend so i hope it comes before then!

You should be okay. IME you are looking at Wednesday (allowing for the Bank Holiday?)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ai_1
    I got that email on Wed 23rd. The bike arrived Monday 28th.
    That was to Ireland. UK shouldn't be much different.
    Definitely shouldn't take a week. Wednesday seems likely
  • velo.2010
    velo.2010 Posts: 48
    I have an AL SLX frameset ordered since the first week of April and due for week 19 (next week). No word back yet so unlikely now to have it in time for the Giro here in Ireland.

Fired off an email to Canyon today. Looking at this thread, I guess I should have sent one off sooner to set the wheels in motion!

One bonus though - I'm getting the accessory pack with the frame and should get the sponsor discount - hell of a long wait still!
  • Mike__
    Mike__ wrote:

You should be okay. IME you are looking at Wednesday (allowing for the Bank Holiday?)

Funnily enough you're bang on with that! The UPS tracking had been updated before when i looked and it said it would be delivered on Wednesday. Hopefully they update nearer the time to give a more exact time as i'm too busy to take the day off but can nip home for an hour or so if i get a rough time. Getting excited now :lol:
  • gadam
    I know this is a Canyon forum, but I wanted to share with you what happened after I gave up waiting for the Canyon frame. In fact, I could be building an Ultimate CF SL at the moment, but I'm not disappointed at all with what I have instead. It costed exactly the same as an Ultimate CF SL, it was delivered after just 4 days of ordering it and it is highly debatable which of the two is better.

• Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    How did you manage to build that, for the same price as the cf SL? I have that same (ish) build in my short list, but could not manage to get the build down to make it competitive to the canyon spec
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • gadam
    I bought the frame at jedi-sport.de for about £1050 inc postage and bottom bracket. The Sram Red group set came from merlincycles, who had a super discount at £800. The Campa Neutrons from bike discount.de for £420. The Fizik antares carbon saddle at bike24.de for £140 if I remember. Ze Germans have some very good prices because of the EUR/GBP conversion rate. Finally I shot, the 3T components on ebay for some little money. I hope this helps. All in all it costs roughly the same as a top of the range CF SL except that they don't give you the same quality components.

There are many ways to cut prices here, for example to waste less money on saddle, but it was simply too tempting.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I'm really surprised that Canyon are still sending bikes out with VCLS seat posts.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    I've ordered a speedmax cf8:).. But the canyon UK centre hasnt been That helpful I'm afraid.

Their phone lines are now Down due to being busy:/.

Also I ordered bike 2days ago and now its on sale!£200+ cheaper.
    Does this mean I pay the price of bike when shipped?ie current price or that of when ordered?

If latter I'll cancel order and re order again which would be pain in the a&%.

If anyone knows please post
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners