Road shoes for wide feet

sticky88
sticky88 Posts: 10
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I'm new into road cycling, been cycling with running trainers, but want to get into road shoes. I went to a local bike shop, but they don't have my size for me to try on. So I've got 2 questions please:

Are cycling shoes like running shoes, where one has to get a size bigger than daily wear shoes?

I have very wide feet (female), is there a recommended brand/model I should be looking for?

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    You may need a size or two bigger. I can't recommend anything female specific, because my wife has small feet.

I have wide feet and shimano or specialized fit me ok.

Do try several brands and several sizes, wear thick-ish socks when trying on so you know you can wear them in cold weather.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Hi Sticky, I too have wide feet and use Northwave shoes (I found them wider than Specialized, but give them all a go, your fit may be different to mine). Also I think Shimano & Sidi do wide fittings of their shoes, although I haven't tried them.
  • Bont wide fit - measure your feet up using their guide order and expect to get them in 2 weeks or so - perfect! I tried Northwave and Lake Wide but nothing beats Bont - shoes that are the same shape as feet! How about that for a good idea :shock:

http://shop.bontcycling.com/collections/road-shoes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Louis Garneau and Lake shoes come up fairly wide.

What size do you need? Non female specific shoes will be wider than female specific ones.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Northwave, but the higher up the range you go the narrower they seem to get.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Sidi do the mega range for wide tootsies
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Depends how wide is wide!
    I have very wide feet. Somewhere between 2E and 4E I think (don't know if this will be the same for women's feet!) I've been using Shimano wide fit shoes. They're wider than usual but I still need to go up at least 1 size to be comfortable on width.
    I'm going to try Bont next.
  • I dont know if Diadora do womens road shoes, but in general the Diadora range of cycling shoes come up much wider than most.
    I have size 11 feet, wide, and the Diadoras have been great, very comfortable and no hotspots. Worth looking at.
  • sticky88
    Thank you to everyone for the suggestions!

I managed to get to 3 bike shops today, but they sell mainly Specialized. I told them what I needed them for i.e. road cycling, specifically for a a ride in June about 80 milees over 6 days, so I need something I can get used to in time and with confidence. Comfort is important as my wide feet struggle to get comfortable in shoes. Also told them I'm not racing against time, just need to do the distance as comfortably as possible. They suggested I try the Specialized recreational shoes, which are comfortable. I guess it's a transition for me from normal trainers. I've been trying to understand what I lose by not having road shoes, but I guess the recommended shoes is better than cycling with normal trainers! I'm sure I'll progress to getting road shoes one day, but for now, I need to be happy with what ever shoes I get by June.

I told them I'll sleep on it before buying. Is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks so much for all your help, really appreciate it!
  • If by recreational they mean Tahoe or Tahoe Sport the disadvantage is the soles are nowhere near as stiff as proper road shoes and you can only use two bolt spd cleats and pedals - but - you can walk in them without wearing the cleats as much. These are really MTB shoes - road shoes are way better for road cycling.
  • andrewjoseph
    Depending on the quality of the shoes, mtb shoes can be as stiff as road shoes. I only use mtb shoes for riding as does my wife.

We have mid range shoes, i.e. spend about £70- £100 on shoes we do multi day camping trips in these and have done the end to end in them.

Yes you can get bendy mtb shoes, but you can also get bendy road shoes.
    --
  • Depending on the quality of the shoes, mtb shoes can be as stiff as road shoes. I only use mtb shoes for riding as does my wife.

We have mid range shoes, i.e. spend about £70- £100 on shoes we do multi day camping trips in these and have done the end to end in them.

Yes you can get bendy mtb shoes, but you can also get bendy road shoes.

This true but I did say ... as proper road shoes ... and my previous post recommended Bont.
  • andrewjoseph
    my point is that mtb shoes need not be discounted for road use. Lots of people use mtb shoes on road bikes, it just gives more to chose from.
    --
  • sticky88
    *Update*
    Eventually, I've bought this: http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftr/shoes/road-shoes/sport-rbx#features

My day shoe is size 6, running shoes size 7, and for this Specialized Sport RBX Road is a size 42 (size 8) men's, and feels comfortable! Got it last week, been on turbo last night, and been in the car park this morning, and very pleased with them!

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice!
  • andrewjoseph
    Looks ideal.
    --