Wheelset upgrade advice please

zeb74
zeb74 Posts: 8
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've just got back into road cycling after being on mountain bikes and hybrids for the last 10 - 20 years. (nearly 40yrs young)

I got myself a Verenti Belief 2014 (from Wiggle) and it came with a 4ZA wheelset. After a few good long rides 30+ miles I'm not that convinced about their durability as the rear had a few loose spokes and went out of true and I've just had it in at the LBS to get it sorted (something I intend to learn to do myself eventually)

Anyway I'd like to upgrade to something that is durable for our not so smooth roads, I'm not a road racer, just a social biker , training and I have the odd sportive lined up and I'm weighing in around 90kg

I'd looked at the Shimano RS30's but was told these were not much of an upgrade? but I had read some great reviews on them being durable and they are a great price (£130 ribble)

I have also looked at the Fulcrum range, but being 90kg I am slightly put off by there weight limits.

So now looking at the Ultegra 6800 wheelset but really wouldn't want to be spending any more than I can find them for @ 234 (wiggle)

So any advice would be much appreciated **bearing in mind my weight (90kg) and what I intend to use them for (training, social biking, the odd sportive) and the road surfaces around here on the west coast of Scotland (potholes)**

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    We have Fulcrum Racing 5s - 90Kg is not a problem - I won't say they're bomb proof - I doubt they are, but for a factory wheelset they seem good and have taken everything we've thrown at them. Last year Merlin had them for ~£150.
    I can't comment on other options as we've got stock wheels, the FR5s and I have a set of Mavics that are over your budget anyway.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Give a ring to Big Al at http://www.wheelcraft.net and he will build something appropriate for your weight. Going for a factory wheelset at 90 Kg is a waste of money
    left the forum March 2023
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Wheelcraft is ok, but idiosycratic and slow. If suggest the cycle clinic (Malcolm) as I've used both. H Plus Son Archetype rims on decent hubs and take his advice on spokes.
  • zeb74
    Thanks guys, I'm going to see how these 4ZA's bear up over the next few weeks before I make my mind up and splash any cash.
    I've got the Etape Caledonia in May, so need to make my mind up one way or the other before then :)
  • zeb74
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... =HTMLEmail

ok I know these aren't light and aren't an "upgrade" per say, if I don't really need to upgrade but more replace with something that is stronger?? at this price (inc. tyres and tubes) and "bomb proof" reviews.... any views/opinions welcomed.
  • zeb74
    rafletcher wrote:
    Wheelcraft is ok, but idiosycratic and slow. If suggest the cycle clinic (Malcolm) as I've used both. H Plus Son Archetype rims on decent hubs and take his advice on spokes.
    E-mailed them today and got a very informative reply from Malcolm..... time to start saving a few more pennies
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Mavic Ksyriums. Bomb proof.

Look: Second hand set on fleabay:

mLcVfQAGh55mpKX1-G42xvw.jpg

Item No. 221401146862
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • zeb74
    Mavic Ksyriums. Bomb proof.

Look: Second hand set on fleabay:

mLcVfQAGh55mpKX1-G42xvw.jpg

Item No. 221401146862

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them :)
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Give a ring to Big Al at http://www.wheelcraft.net and he will build something appropriate for your weight. Going for a factory wheelset at 90 Kg is a waste of money

OMG! :shock:

I am 90 kg and have been using factory built wheels for 10 years with no real problems. I'll change straight away as I have obviously been testing my luck.
  • zeb74
    letap73 wrote:

OMG! :shock:

I am 90 kg and have been using factory built wheels for 10 years with no real problems. I'll change straight away as I have obviously been testing my luck.

Yeah I didn't think I was godzilla lol loads are alot heavier than me on factory wheelsets I'm sure....
  • ugo.santalucia
    zeb74 wrote:
    Yeah I didn't think I was godzilla lol loads are alot heavier than me on factory wheelsets I'm sure....

Dude, you said "bearing in mind my weight... and the potholes " and so I was... get the Mavic lightweights then... "bearing in mind they are built for someone who is 70 Kg and rides in France"
  • pinno
    zeb74 wrote:

Dude, you said "bearing in mind my weight... and the potholes " and so I was... get the Mavic lightweights then... "bearing in mind they are built for someone who is 70 Kg and rides in France"

You cannot say that Mavics are lightweights.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    My Ksyriums did me really well when I was a 95kg monster. Never went out of true.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    NapoleonD wrote:
    My Ksyriums did me really well when I was a 95kg monster. Never went out of true.

Thats the thing with factory wheels - most of the time they're fine - and do just what they were purchased for - just occasionally something goes wrong and spares or even worse - rebuild - costs a good chunk of cash.

For me - factory wheels are just easy - you find them on the internet or in a shop and buy them - no hassle - they may not be built for my specifics and I could potentially spend less overall by going down the hand-built route - but I'd have the hassle of finding a builder then being sure that what they're offering is reasonable and better value than the factory sets.
    Is 90Kg heavy? well - it's heavier than me - so don't go with the very low spoke count wheels.
    Potholes will destroy most wheels eventually if you continually hit them - best to avoid them in the first place - so look where you're riding ... or get a mountain bike ...
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    The OP wanted "something that is durable for our not so smooth roads".

Which is why handbuilts, say 32 spoke Open Pro, is a good suggestion. They don't have to cost the earth and needn't weigh much more than Ksyriums et al.

£150 factory wheels won't be much of an upgrade. Shimano wheels are pretty reliable but a 16 spoke front wheel wouldn't be my recommendation for a heavier rider trying to navigate poorly maintained roads.

There will be numerous previous discussions, you could try the search facility.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Millidog
    Millidog Posts: 32
    90 kgs don`t worry you should`nt have a problem with any decent wheel upgrade
  • I'm over 100kgs and had no problems with my fulcrum 7's (2014) or shimano ultegra wheels on Lincolnshires awful roads consisting of potholes in potholes

I'd recommend the shimano ultegras
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I weighed 105 kgs last year and bought some American Classic Victory 30's. I was a bit concerned about the low spoke count - 24 on the back. I hit a pot hole down hill at 36mph and had a rear blow out, the wheel was solid - stayed true and round. These have a high rider weight limit and are not too heavy (but not cheap either). I compared them to a friends Fulcrum 5's recently and the spokes on the Am classics are much beefier and the whole wheel seems more robust for a similar weight.
  • ugo.santalucia
    We got up to 105 Kg... anyone offers more?
    Any 140 Kg on a Rolf 14 spoker that survived an impact with a killer whale? :wink:
  • zeb74
    Thanks for all your "help" :)

Well I am now saving for a handbuilt set from 'the cycle clinic'

H Plus Son Archetype rims on Miche Primato Hubs, Sapim Race Spokes 32R 28F

They look lovely and from what I have read will be nice and strong and last me a while :mrgreen:
  • pinno
    Any 140 Kg on a Rolf 14 spoker that survived an impact with a killer whale? :wink:

At this rate, one of these may be more suitable:

Juggernaut-3-4-clipped-1024x769.png
  • LeeJay
    LeeJay Posts: 25
    This makes me quite worried, as I'm 120kg, and looking for my first road bike...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

At this rate, one of these may be more suitable:

Juggernaut-3-4-clipped-1024x769.png

Well that deserves a 'WTF'!! Still, on the bright side it's probably lighter than a £99 full susser from Sports Direct......
    Faster than a tent.......