Shortening Shimano brake hoses without bleeding?

Cave_Dweller
Cave_Dweller Posts: 114
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I've read a few different ways to do it and does it really work with all shimano hydraulic brakes? I need to shorten my rear brake hose.

One way of doing the job without bleeding said to take the calliper off and pump the lever to push the pistons out a little, cut the hose to where you want it and reconnect. They also said to do this with the reservoir cap off so that when you push the pistons out, if there is any excess air in the system it will go into the reservoir.

Whether or not that's true and works fine I don't know. I've always just bled my brakes when doing this job but I don't have a bleed kit anymore and done fancy buying one just for a one off job now and again.

If it makes any difference these are my exact brakes.
brm535fkit6-17.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It does. Except when it doesn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    One way of doing the job without bleeding said to take the calliper off and pump the lever to push the pistons out a little, cut the hose to where you want it and reconnect. They also said to do this with the reservoir cap off so that when you push the pistons out, if there is any excess air in the system it will go into the reservoir.

Whether or not that's true and works fine I don't know.

Worked for me. Get the proper Shimano funnel to screw into the reservoir cap, because if you've done this properly the oil may overflow otherwise.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto wrote:

Whether or not that's true and works fine I don't know.

Worked for me. Get the proper Shimano funnel to screw into the reservoir cap, because if you've done this properly the oil may overflow otherwise.

Cheers. My reservoir cap is a bit strange. I take it off and there's a rubber cover underneath it. If you take that rubber cover off you can see the fluid. Will I still need that funnel you're on about?

It seemed a lot more simple with my set of Hopes. you just take the cover off and can see the fluid straight away lol.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No different brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need a funnel with those, just a syringe and small hose, easiest brakes in the world to bleed and I can do mine in 2 minutes dead.
    1/ Rotate lever on bars so the cover is horizontal
    2/ Remove cover and diaphragm
    3/ Use syringe to empty reservoir in lever
    4/ Draw fluid into syringe and point downwards and ease plunger in until fluid gets to tip of hose
    5/ Remove plastic cap from bleed nipple on the calliper
    6/ Fit hose to nipple, keep syringe pointing down
    7/ Loosen nipple
    8/ Push plunger down to push fluid through until either the reservoir is full or you get to the point where you may push air trapped in the syringe into the system
    9/ Tighten nipple, remove hose, refit cap
    10/ Top up reservoir if necessary so that when fitting the diaphragm you get just a small amount of leakage and trap no air
    11/ Refit diaphragm and cap.
    12/ rotate level back to desired position.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Cheers. My reservoir cap is a bit strange. I take it off and there's a rubber cover underneath it. If you take that rubber cover off you can see the fluid. Will I still need that funnel you're on about?

It seemed a lot more simple with my set of Hopes. you just take the cover off and can see the fluid straight away lol.

You know what, I don't think I ever looked in the hole when I took either the cap off or the funnel out. My experience is with the 596 Deores, although I believe that the lever is identical in almost every way apart from the design on the reservoir cover to the XT and SLX brakes of the same year. I'd guess (note that word!) that what you see is a rubber diaphragm that's perforated somewhere to allow oil to be added from the top cap.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    On the newer 2013? models, its stupidly easy even i managed it. Shortened the hose on my slx front and rear, even ordered another set of olives so i could re-trim the front one again as i didn't take enough off and didn't realise until i had fitted it back on. After 2 shortening still didn't require a bleed, fair play to shimano for doing this as my avids just a diaster.
  • The Rookie
    No, they are totally different, pre funnel and the Mx65 style (I have the same age M765's).

Deore similar to above
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 604542.pdf
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks all. Hopefully my new headset comes tonight so I can put the bike together properly that I need to shorten the hoses on. I have a syringe and some piping for aquariums so I'll make my own bleed kit for standby.

I don't know what model Deore's my brakes are. I just know they came standard on my old bike in 2007. I've always bought Hopes as an upgrade but didn't bother with these because they are pretty good. Can easily emergency stop with only one finger.
  • Another question. Does my model of Deore brakes have a barb that connects into the end of the hose? If so can I reuse it or will I have to buy a new one to attach onto the shortened bit of hose?

Cheers.
  • Followed this and it worked a treat for me.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/ ... -bleeding/
  • Yeh looks like I'll have to order a new barb'd connector for it, just in case. I don't want to get half way through have to leave it because I've missed something.
  • Done the job and was a piece of cake. I have to buy new connectors and olives though to shorten the hoses but at least I know it can be done without bleeding and what to do next time when the bits come in the post.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    How easy is it to cut the hoses? Will a sharp knife do or is a hose cutter recommended by those who have done so?

I am thinking of purchasing the current model Deore brakes (M615), which would likely need the hoses shortening.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    If you use a brand new Stanley knife blade and cut flat onto a chopping board, it works just fine, DON'T use the tip of the blade.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    OK cool. Thanks :)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Followed this and it worked a treat for me.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/ ... -bleeding/

I shortened the brake hoses on the Deore brakes I fitted to my son's bike a few weeks ago using the guide above and it was easy.
    I used good cable cutters to cut the hoses and then used a small allen key to open up the cut end.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009