Bike on the train.

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited March 2014 in Road general
If 2 or 3 of us were to get the train to wherever and ride back do we have to book to check if we can get our bikes on or can we just turn up?

Never put a bike on the train before, and the only time I use the train is to go on the lash in town.
I know they dont allow bikes on the Tram.

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    What rail line?

On the South eastern lines during off-peak you can just turn up and put your bikes on. It gets a bit busy if you have more than about 3 bikes to a set of doors, but they do have some areas designed to fit more bikes.

My Dad and I sometimes take the train from Ramsgate to Dover and cycle back which makes a really good trip up the coast.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What train, which company? SWT allow bikes but I expect its different on the 125s.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi,
    I travel all over on train with my bike. Never had any issues during non peak trains. Have had to stand up with my bike on a number of occassions, but generally ok.
    When buying my ticket I always go into the local ticket office and discuss it with them. They occassionally book the bike on for me by contacting the other train companies or pass me the phone numbers if necessary.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    I am North West so presume its Network Rail.
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    Graham K wrote:
    I am North West so presume its Network Rail.
    Could be Northern rail, virgin or transpennine.
    Pretty sure you have to book on verging but on Northern and Transpennine you just turn up and go providing there is space.
    Have a look here
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_ ... lists.aspx
    Geoff
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I want to take my bike from London to Cambridge on a Saturday, do I just turn up, do I have to pay extra for the bike, does the bike ride with me?
    Thanks for any help, thinking of riding stage 3 of the TDF
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    You should always book in advance if you can. There is a limit to the number of bikes that trains can take - whether they let you on or not is up to the whim of the train manager (= guard), and if other bike wielding folk turn up before you you're stuck (until the next train).

Note that having a bike reservation still doesn't guarantee you can get your bike on the train, various overcrowding factors have prevented me getting a reserved bike on a train before now, however at least I was able to sue their sorry ar5es. A £5 voucher later came my way.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Definitely look up the train company you'll be traveling with, and look up their policy on bike carriage. I'm blessed with SouthWest trains down here which have a very good bikes on train policy- all of their trains have at least one carriage which can take bikes, and up to 3/4 depending on the train length. They don't need booking and I've never been turned away with my bike (but I do travel outside of the rush hour).
    I've traveled up to the Lakes and the Peak District with my bike, and found that long distance journeys should always be booked in- your local ticket office should be able to sort out reservations for your bike. CrossCountry trains only have 3 bike spaces per train, and I've been turned away from them before. Even having a bike reservation doesn't mean there will be a space free, but it give you leverage with the conductor if you have a long journey booked with several changes you need to make.

Virgin trains require you to book your bike onto the train- it can be done up to 5 mins before at the station but I've always done it well in advance. You can't open the bike storage door from the outside and the train staff won't let you on without a reservation.