Should new Speedplay pedals squeak

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I have recently bought new speedplay zero pedals for my new bike, i have been using cleats that are about 3 months old and use them for both bikes but the squeak seems only to be on the new pedals and i was wondering is there a breaking in period or do old cleats cause a squeak on new pedals?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Are the pedals greased and the cleats lubed?
    I've never had a squeak out of mine.
  • davoj
    Yea pedals are grease and cleats are new cleaned and lubed. Its only squeaking on the new pedals and not the old ones. so its has to be the new pedals so was wondering can there be a breaking in period.
  • Used Speedplays for a fair few years now and only ever had squeaks from dry or dirty cleats, apart from once when neoprene overshoes were rubbing on the cranks. Smeared some grease on the inside of he overshoes and it went away. There is no break-in period check lubing of both pedals and cleats.
  • ai_1
    Used Speedplays for a fair few years now and only ever had squeaks from dry or dirty cleats, apart from once when neoprene overshoes were rubbing on the cranks. Smeared some grease on the inside of he overshoes and it went away. There is no break-in period check lubing of both pedals and cleats.
    Agreed. I can't think of any reason why they would squeak and they never have in my experience.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    I would firstly take the cleats off and clean the spring and reassemble with some lube. Id also take out the pedals and regrease the threads and swap them over to the other bike. Also spray some gt85 or similar in the grooves which the cleat spring engages with. If all of these fail then maybe a fault with one of the bearings inside the pedal. Did you buy from a shop rather than the net? If so and the noise is constant you should be able to replicate in front of one of the shop guys. You could then show the other pedals don't squeak.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    not had a squeaking issue with my Zero's. as others have mentioned might be worth topping up the grease in the pedal, taking htem off and greasing the threads and look at the cleats too.
    any issues have a chat with who you bought them off to see if they can offer any opinion/advice
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I've got them on 3 different bikes and been using them for 6 years, never heard a squeak. The cleats click when they're worn but never a squeak. My advice would be to swap pedals between bikes and see it the squeak remains. It could be that with your normal pedals, the axle lengths are different/feel at different angles so you only rub, whatever's rubbing with the Speedplays fitted?
  • davoj
    Thanks for the replies, I rang the speed play customer service and he asked was the top bolt (3 base bolts) raised higher than the plate and it was so I filed the top bolt as instructed and the squeak is gone.The pedal and bolt we're rubbing and this caused the squeak. He said it can happen depending on the shoe and size of shoe and where the cleat is fitted.

Happy to have it sorted but I am wondering are speedplay really worth the hassle.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Cheers for update and I'll remember that if and when I change my shoes! They've told you how to cure the problem and it's worked so I'd say it's not a deal breaker if you like the peddles overall;)
  • ai_1
    davoj wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, I rang the speed play customer service and he asked was the top bolt (3 base bolts) raised higher than the plate and it was so I filed the top bolt as instructed and the squeak is gone.The pedal and bolt we're rubbing and this caused the squeak. He said it can happen depending on the shoe and size of shoe and where the cleat is fitted.

Happy to have it sorted but I am wondering are speedplay really worth the hassle.
    Not that much hassle really. Seems this was a simple interference issue due to the way they were fitted. All sorted now, the end. In general the hassle consists of cleats that are slightly more finicky to fit than most and pedals that need very occasional greasing to keep runnng nice and smooth but for me they are well worth those very minor considerations.
  • davoj wrote:

If you have a normal range of motion and stable knees and you want to maximise your chances of keeping them that way then yes. If your knees are unstable or hypermobile probably not as you would almost defo have to remove all the float if using speedplays as you would most likely need to be held in place more (so to speak) so a cheaper type of cleat/pedal would work for you.