20mm Longer Travel Fork.

kang
kang Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm thinking of up grading my fork. I currently run a Rockshox Recon Gold with 120mm travel. I would like to go up to 140mm. I have read lots of posts about how it changes the head tube angle and bottom bracket height and I'm happy with all that, but I have also read that it can cause extra stress on the head tube and possibly damage the frame. Is that really an issue if I'm only increasing travel by 20mm? Thanks.

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    what frame?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • kang
    It's a Lapierre X-control I bought new six months ago.
  • 97th choice
    edited March 2014
    I wouldn't, Lapierre's arent the most robust of frames*

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I wouldn't, Lapierre's arent the most robust of frames

hope no one from lapierre reads that as its pretty slanderous :wink:
  • 97th choice
    *allegedly.

Snapierre? where did I hear that?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Jesus, it's funny how peoples perceptions are made from issues with a couple of models (which are now sorted aren't they) I had an x control, was a great bike climbed really quickly but it had quite a steep head angle. I didn't find it very forgiving on the downs and my lack of talent got me in the real shit sometimes. It's a well made bike and I put mine through a pretty hard time and it coped in terms of build quality faultlessly. In the end I wanted more travel and a slightly slacker bike so changed which was the right thing for me and I have not looked back since. Be worth checking the axle to crown height of your current fork vs the one you want to buy to see what the actual difference would be.
  • kang
    So is it something that shouldn't be done in general or shouldn't be done to a lapierre?
  • Same I have the same reckons on my cannondale RZ 120/1 and have wondered about a 150mm fork
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look in the tech FAQ.
  • 97th choice
    kang wrote:
    So is it something that shouldn't be done in general or shouldn't be done to a lapierre?

Some bikes take to it better than others, for example my trance comes with 120/125mm forks but giant also fit the top of the range model with 140mm forks, whilst their new 650b frame can come with 140 or 160mm forks.

Generally you can "probably" get away with 10-20mm increase with no ill effects, apart from invalidating your warranty.

I just wouldn't personally with a lapierre for the reasons above, but then again I wouldn't buy one for the reasons above so it's a moot point.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • russyh
    kang wrote:

Some bikes take to it better than others, for example my trance comes with 120/125mm forks but giant also fit the top of the range model with 140mm forks, whilst their new 650b frame can come with 140 or 160mm forks.

Generally you can "probably" get away with 10-20mm increase with no ill effects, apart from invalidating your warranty.

I just wouldn't personally with a lapierre for the reasons above, but then again I wouldn't buy one for the reasons above so it's a moot point.

How many x controls have you heard of that have snapped? Just out of interest? Or are you saying anything you spread on toast tastes shit because you don't like marmite?
  • 97th choice
    X-controls? 1, on the bottom bracket.

Anyhow, chill out, this is the internet.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • russyh
    I'm chilled, and guessed you would make one up..;-)
  • kang
    I have emailed Lapierre to see what they think but I think I can guess what they will say. If I'm honest, the reason I want to do it is because I want to ride the bike harder, probably harder than the bike is designed for. It's an XC bike after all.
    The way I'm going to get round this problem is I'm going to buy my mates Spicy off him. Probably more travel than I need but I had a go on it today and loved it, gave me loads more confidence. He's giving it to me at a good price too.
    Lapierres seem to divide opinion, people love them or hate them, I love them.
    I'll let you know if Lapierre ever get back to me, I'm not going to hold my breath though. I have never had a reply from an email I have sent a manufacturer. Does anyone else get that? Maybe I'm asking stupid questions.