OT: Where to stay in Brighton?

cheddarpaul
cheddarpaul Posts: 126
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Stopping over for a couple of days in Brighton - 4th & 5th April. Is it just me being tight but are even the most basic B&Bs upwards of nearly £100 per night??

Has anyone any recommendations for somewhere to stay, hopefully close / walking distance to the centre?

I dont mind paying but £100 per night for a B&B seems excessive....

Thanks y'all
Boardman Team Comp
Boardman CX Team
Boardman Full Suss Pro
Brick Lane fixie
Genesis Day One

Comments

• andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    When we did the L 2 B last year we stayed at the Mercure - hotel was lovely, great staff, and we got a free upgrade to one of the sea view rooms. A quick google is putting it from £84 per night for the dates you're stating...
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Jamie1966
    Jamie1966 Posts: 38
    When West Ham played away at Brighton couple years ago we stayed at Jurys Inn basically right outside the station

Really nice hotel

http://www.jurysinns.com/hotels/brighton
  • cheddarpaul
    Thanks chaps

I cant find Mercure for less than £150 per night and Jury's is coming in at nearly £300 for 2 nights!
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • Jamie1966
    Jamie1966 Posts: 38
    Oh bloody hell sorry, I should have looked first !
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    premier inn on north st: http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/BRIP ... ity-centre

It can't get much more central, is cheap, clean and has decent sized rooms. Snobs may not like it, but I've paid twice the price for nice looking hotels on the outside only for the inside to be the size of a shoebox (and decorated from the 70's).

There's a car park round the back that you get a discount for...else it's a 10 minute walk from the station.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 9
    That weekend is the Brighton marathon, you won't find anywhere particularly cheap.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I can't be bothered to check the prices but when we stay in Brighton we rent a flat in the Marina.

Ok it's a long walk (or a short bike ride) from the centre of town but it's very nice.
    FCN = 4
  • cheddarpaul
    Just checked the Premier Inn - £242 for the 2 nights....

Am I being too tight?
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 9

Am I being too tight?

That weekend is the Brighton marathon, you won't find anywhere particularly cheap.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991

Am I being too tight?

...now admittedly I usually pay half that :)

Try www.hotels.com ?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    If you are taking a car remember to factor in parking costs.

We stayed at one of the guesthouses on regency square. It was cheap for Brighton and decent quality. The underground car park across the road was handy-not too expensive and didn't smell to much of urine. If you are lucky you can park on the street in the evenings.

I've also stayed at the Travelodge in Preston park - never again.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    no you arent being tight, its just Brighton is nodding expensive, its like London "extra", usually have to pay around £100 a night at the weekends even at a B&B, which to be fair was nice, but parking is a nightmare. sometimes think its better to try and stay further out and train it back in if you have to.

and I wouldnt be so keen to stay central they put bouncers on the doors of the travelodge near the seafront to ensure the idiots are kept out, and there are usually plenty of idiots visiting at the weekend
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    <cough> parking is free in the Marina
    FCN = 4
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Brighton & Hove is a top pick amongst travellers on your selected dates (87% reserved).
    Tip: Prices might be higher than normal, so try your search again with different dates.

I never realised hotels in Brighton were so expensive 8)
  • cheddarpaul
    Thanks everyone for your replies

I cant change the dates so in the end I booked through AirBnB - will see what that turns out like!

Much appreciation for your comments though
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One