Carradry Saddlebag

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Does anyone use one of these?

I'm considering trying one instead of my Ortlieb front roller classic as ideally I want to get rid of my rack. According to the data the Carradry is 12-15 litres which is similar to the front roller, doesn't look as big though?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd look at all of the range rather than fixate on the Carradry. If you have mudguards at least, any of them are fine as the water won't get in and they are sheltered up there! So I'd go for one of the cotton duck options (if they do get wet, the threads expand so it self seals!) as they apparently last forever. Mount it using the SQR system which is really effective.

The Super C ones are good as the clips are more convenient than the buckles of the other designs but you do only have a choice of 9 or 23 ltr with those.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'd look at all of the range rather than fixate on the Carradry. If you have mudguards at least, any of them are fine as the water won't get in and they are sheltered up there! So I'd go for one of the cotton duck options (if they do get wet, the threads expand so it self seals!) as they apparently last forever. Mount it using the SQR system which is really effective.

The Super C ones are good as the clips are more convenient than the buckles of the other designs but you do only have a choice of 9 or 23 ltr with those.

I've got a Zipped Roll and a Junior.

The former will take essentials (wallet, watch, glasses, etc), tube, tools, underwear and a t-shirt although it's a bit crammed.

When using a large saddle bag check your lights will still be visible in winter. I have to move back to a rucksack during the dark ages.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I made a saddle clip for a rear Smart light out of a broken Fizik saddlebag clip on - this just about allows an overstuffed SuperC Barley to fit on with the Smart still visible and pointing in the right direction! There's a few variables here that may help or hinder - eg position of saddle on seatpost, how much visible seatpost etc. I might have been able to mount a light under the SQR mount if I'd had to though with a carbon seatpost I like the idea of keeping the SQR right at the bottom. Fibre Flares should work well if that fails.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    While it isn't a carradice saddle bag I would have a look at the bridge street saddle bag http://bridgestreet.cc/ I backed it while it was on kickstarter and have been really very happy with my bag. Clips on and off the mount in seconds and as far as I have been able to tell during the wet winter, is fully waterproof.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee