CAAD8 loose bottlecage holder screws

superfourben
superfourben Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Road general
The screw holes that are usually welded into the frame of the bike (Cannondale CAAD8) have come loose and so no matter how tight (i don't want to over tighten) the bottle cage screws are then the bottle cage wobbles in the frame. I can only assume this is going to get worse, has anyone else experienced this, is there a fix (alu welding isn't??) or do I put up with a wobbly bottle??

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,542
    lbs should be able to replace with rivnuts - this may be how the current ones are done, in which case they may be able to tighten them in-place
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    My LBS replaced all of mine as they were all buggered which seemed strange. I can only imagine the previous owner didn't know his own strength when it came to tightening them.

£20 which I thought was pretty reasonable.
  • I can only imagine the previous owner didn't know his own strength when it came to tightening them.

I honestly didn't over-tighten them…..
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Cool, sounds replaceable, wasn't sure if this was possible, thanks folks!
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Should have said, my nearest LBS werent that keen on doing it and were worried about damaging the frame. I contacted another and the were very helpful and sure it would be an easy job that they'd done many times before.

So it might be worth phoning around.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    It's happened twice on my CAAD9 frame. £15 to fix at my lbs... just take care not to over tighten them when you get 'em fixed.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey