Milan San-Remo pre-race chat

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited March 2014 in Pro race
Since the PTP is already up and running (cheers TWH) I thought it might be handy to start a sideline thread, thus keeping the PTP for predictions only.

First up, should I be surprised that Renshaw is missing from the OPQS squad? Is the assumption that a full-blown lead out is so very unlikely at the end of an event like MSR, hence the exclusion?

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RonB wrote:
    Since the PTP is already up and running (cheers TWH) I thought it might be handy to start a sideline thread, thus keeping the PTP for predictions only.

First up, should I be surprised that Renshaw is missing from the OPQS squad? Is the assumption that a full-blown lead out is so very unlikely at the end of an event like MSR, hence the exclusion?

I'd imagine that's a factor, plus also its not exactly all about Cav is it? Boonen's been earmarked for this from the start - and I cant see how that's changed even with the course alteration.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    I'm assuming that the OPQS team line up will change in coming days. The procyclingstat one still has Meersman on it, and given his injuries I'd be surprised if he's riding...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Cav has better form getting over the lumps than Renshaw too no?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It's pretty much been every man for himself the last couple of years. Last year was a true hard man's edition, TB will be crying if there is a repeat of that weather, Cav will be non-plussed (just like home) and Stannard will have a sex-wee.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Weather forecasts are currently mixed bag, but it looks like we might have a bit of rain and...wait for it...crosswinds! Unfortunately it's not looking too blowy, but it could make it more difficult for sprinters.
  • Richmond Racer
    Weather forecasts are currently mixed bag, but it looks like we might have a bit of rain and...wait for it...crosswinds! Unfortunately it's not looking too blowy, but it could make it more difficult for sprinters.

Rain...oooh Yogi, you hearing this?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    It's gonna be bloody brilliant.

Always enjoy this race, even if it's a sprint.
  • rick_chasey
    Is always a bit of a lottery too.

I've not been convinced by Boonen's sprinting, and that makes me a little concerned for his chances. Cancellara's TT in Tireno is promising - he does always seem to pick up form so quickly - and he is always better when the distance is long.

Paris Nice was really perfect weather and perfect racing conditions for good form building too, so I'm not sure those who went to TA will have a particular advantage, compared to normal.

It's one of the better races to watch back once you've just watched it and know the winner.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It's on Sunday this year yes?

hope so, rugby day on Saturday...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, Sunday.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Thanks!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • What are Griepels chances do you think?
    Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
    Boardman Race 2013
    Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • rick_chasey
    What are Griepels chances do you think?

Difficult to say.

Has been getting over stuff well, but he's not got the best record over 210km or so. Bit like Hushovd.
  • Richmond Racer
    Got a feeling about Degenkolb. Could see the first 'tached winner since...?
  • above_the_cows
    Got a feeling about Degenkolb. Could see the first 'tached winner since...?

Calling Rich... Rich, you're needed on a 'tache related query...

Didn't Bettini have a bit of top lip fluff (or general fluff)? Oh no I've checked he was clean shaven for his MSR win.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Not what I had in mind for this thread, but do keep up the good work :D
  • Yellow Peril
    For some reason I have names like Bak and Fuglsang in my head. It's either divine guidance or I'm on the verge of a breakdown. Thrilling end last year.
    @JaunePeril

• above_the_cows
    For some reason I have names like Bak and Fuglsang in my head. It's either divine guidance or I'm on the verge of a breakdown. Thrilling end last year.

Or you've been watching repeats of The Killing, Borgen etc. etc...?
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    It's gonna be bloody brilliant.

Always enjoy this race, even if it's a sprint.

Hell yeah! Its the way the tension builds throughout the day - first there's a suicide break in the fog coming out of Milan; will they or won't they be caught (even though we know the answer); then the stampede as they hit the coast; then the capi, who will / won't get dropped / crash. Its a race that almost any type of rider can win (from Chiappuchi to Cippo), just great!
  • Yellow Peril
    Was it Kelly that rode down Argentin or vice versa one year?
    @JaunePeril

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    ddraver wrote:
    It's on Sunday this year yes?

hope so, rugby day on Saturday...
    No, last Saturday was rugby day! :wink:
  • Yellow Peril

Good point, if I'd watched Salamander then Phil Gil would be getting the nod.
    @JaunePeril

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111

Kelly was in a group 14 seconds behind lone leader Argentin, then closed that gap on the descent, catching Argentin just as the descent ended and rejoined the Via Aurelia. Kelly then beat Argentin in the sprint, with the bunch 3 seconds behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI
  • Yellow Peril
    andyp wrote:

Kelly was in a group 14 seconds behind lone leader Argentin, then closed that gap on the descent, catching Argentin just as the descent ended and rejoined the Via Aurelia. Kelly then beat Argentin in the sprint, with the bunch 3 seconds behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI

thanks Andyp I'll watch that after work tonight (damn you webfilter!)
    @JaunePeril

• above_the_cows

God there were some dreadful suits in that show! Phil Gil would have loved them.

I haven't a clue who's going to win MSR, not getting a feeling for anyone, but that's MSR, it's such a lottery in so many respects. If the weather is bad who can we perhaps preclude on that basis? I can only think of people who like the rubbish weather.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

Phil Gil is Walloon, no? Boonen or one of the other 'steppers, shirley?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

God there were some dreadful suits in that show! Phil Gil would have loved them.

I haven't a clue who's going to win MSR, not getting a feeling for anyone, but that's MSR, it's such a lottery in so many respects. If the weather is bad who can we perhaps preclude on that basis? I can only think of people who like the rubbish weather.

I know what you mean. Not a clue. Erring towards Degenkolb, Sagan and Kristoff for some reason though.

Maybe it would be easier if I was drunk.
  • above_the_cows
    Joelsim wrote:

I know what you mean. Not a clue. Erring towards Degenkolb, Sagan and Kristoff for some reason though.

Everything's easier, or seems easier I should say, when you're drunk Joel.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:

Everything's easier, or seems easier I should say, when you're drunk Joel.

Who was your money on last night?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    How does Demare fare over 250km? Is he riding?

Strava is not Zen.