Winter wheelset storage

Pickled Pig
Pickled Pig Posts: 233
edited March 2014 in Road general
Is it best to store wheels with tyres inflated, deflated or removed from wheels?

Comments

• good question, I have just upgraded my wheels and have stored them away in the loft with some pro 4 tyres on them wonder if thats ok?
    Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
    Boardman Race 2013
    Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Not deflated
    left the forum March 2023
  • Was planning on leaving mine inflated and in a wheelbag in the garage.
    AC :)
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I tend to leave them inflated. Sometimes for years. Never had a problem.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Leaving tyres inflated has been known to damage wheels.

How exactly? Serious question.

PP
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Leaving tyres inflated has been known to damage wheels. Probably best to remove the tyres and rimtape. I usually detension all the spokes just to make sure.

You bag quite a lot of old folks nonsense for someone of your generation... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Leaving tyres inflated has been known to damage wheels. Probably best to remove the tyres and rimtape. I usually detension all the spokes just to make sure.

Best to remove all the spokes just to make sure, and rebuild the entire wheel when you next need them.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Best to remove all the spokes just to make sure, and rebuild the entire wheel when you next need them.

I always have the spokes smelted down and redrawn.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You store your winter wheels? I'd just thrown mine away :(
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your loft gets as hot as ours in the summer I wouldn't be storing tyres and tubes up there. When we got the Christmas stuff down in December we discovered one of the candles had melted :shock:

My winter wheels stay on the winter bike in the garage, alongside the summer wheels on the summer bike. If it's going to be pi$$ing it down in July I'll take the winter bike out.

LOL at the spoke loosening suggestion and the scare story of tyres damaging wheels!
  • markhewitt1978
    What about summer wheels?

I rook off my RS80s with GP4000S tyres in November, the tyres had done 1,400 miles, with no punctures.
    Put them back on weekend before last and I've now been on two rides with them and punctured both times. :(
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    beacrefull if you are leaving them in a garage with a window. The uv rays from the sun dammage tyres
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    keef66 wrote:
    If your loft gets as hot as ours in the summer I wouldn't be storing tyres and tubes up there. When we got the Christmas stuff down in December we discovered one of the candles had melted :shock:

My winter wheels stay on the winter bike in the garage, alongside the summer wheels on the summer bike. If it's going to be pi$$ing it down in July I'll take the winter bike out.

LOL at the spoke loosening suggestion and the scare story of tyres damaging wheels!

you only have 1 wheelset per bike?!
    Surely you need
    a) summer/dry set
    b) winter/wet set
    c) studded set
    d) turbo/rollers set
    e) climbing set
    f) TT/aero set

unless you've got 6 bikes, one to match each of the above requirements then you're several wheelsets short of a peleton! ;)
  • markhewitt1978
    gazman428 wrote:
    beacrefull if you are leaving them in a garage with a window. The uv rays from the sun dammage tyres

The only place I have to store my wheels, and my bike for that matter is in my small conservatory, it gets a lot of sun and gets very hot in the summer.
  • Pickled Pig
    Oh well,

maxresdefault.jpg

At least Rolf F made me laugh.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I'd stick bin bags over the tyres to stop the rubber perishing from any light if they are stored in a conservatory

Or you can get special tyres cover protecters or wheels bags
  • Pickled Pig
    For me, wheels will be in a cool, dark loft . I only thought about tyres as they've only done 200 mls and are heavy, conti hardshells and I don't want to find them full of cracks next November. My new wheels came with tyres on so going to stick with them over summer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    For me, wheels will be in a cool, dark loft . I only thought about tyres as they've only done 200 mls and are heavy, conti hardshells and I don't want to find them full of cracks next November. My new wheels came with tyres on so going to stick with them over summer.

How does your loft stay cool in summer? Ours must get up to 45c on a sunny day.
  • To preserve the rubber it is best to coat them with factor 50 suntan cream. This stops the UV and keeps them supple.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I think whilst Factor 50 is good for the tyres and wheels, be careful not to get any on the carbon frame, especially if you are a Capricorn or Libran.
  • markhewitt1978
    Well water melts carbon anyway, unless it's covered in Muc-Off of course.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I submerge mine in a bath of formaldehyde, kidding on I only have one wheel set.
  • Pickled Pig
    keef66 wrote:

How does your loft stay cool in summer? Ours must get up to 45c on a sunny day.

By being above a north-facing outrigger permanently shaded from the sun by the main roof and with Victorian eaves. exposed to the coast, which allows a lot of ventilation .
  • Put them in the fridge. It's out of the sun and keeps them acclimatised.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I used to unstitch my tubs and store the latex tubes separately, in my walk-in humidor. Hang the wheels off the garage rafters on matured leather toe-straps so as not to mark the wheel finish.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I had my winter wheels cryogenically frozen and placed in a holding facility 5km below the surface.

Best money I ever spent I can tell you.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Too much overthinking (by people with too much time on their hands). :lol:
  • markhewitt1978
    I buy a new bike every winter, it's just easier.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Mine are stored on the winter bike, in the garage. If they're lucky I clean them first.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved