Anyone willing and able...

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited March 2014 in Road general
...to help me rack up some miles in April?

Background is that I teach in a school in SE London and I'm a tutor in year 10. Last summer my mum had a proper full on cancer scare - Ovarian type - which is horribly under diagnosed due to it being really hard to spot in the early stages. I spoke to mum about sharing it with my tutor group (its an all girls school) to start raising awareness etc and she agreed it'd be good to do this. They reacted beautifully - got her a card that they all signed and presented to me one day. They also decided that they'd like to do some fund raising for a charity and since I cycle, we agreed that the group committing to travel at least 2500 miles under their own steam during April would be a good thing to aim at (they're typical teenagers i.e. not much physical activity taking place). As part of that, I said I'd do 500 miles during April. This is a lot for me - my commute is ~17 miles a day so obviously I can add a bit on to take it up to 20 but the most I've done in a month before is about 250 miles.

But we're on Easter break for the first two weeks of April so I'll need to build some mileage while I'm off. Is there anyone in SE London/Kent who wouldn't mind joining me for a few longer rides? I enjoy riding (obviously) but find it less fun when I'm traipsing around on my own for hours and hours. Just wondering is all!

Ta!

Comments

  • Can't help you as I live at the other end of the country, but have a bump back up the forum.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    And post this in Commuting Chat, you'll have a much more local audience there.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    And post this in Commuting Chat, you'll have a much more local audience there.

    Good idea! On the way over there now :)
  • al_kidder
    al_kidder Posts: 73
    Just take an mp3 player with you for company. If you can't find a couple of hours a day worth of interesting material you must be very hard to please
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    There's a bike shop in Bromley where lots of riders meet up for a weekend ride out I believe. Sounds in the right area.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Al Kidder wrote:
    Just take an mp3 player with you for company. If you can't find a couple of hours a day worth of interesting material you must be very hard to please

    Two hours of music is easy to get - except I wouldn't listen to an MP3 player as I ride and it's still too easy to think "tired today. Sod it" if there's nobody else involved :)
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Motogull wrote:
    There's a bike shop in Bromley where lots of riders meet up for a weekend ride out I believe. Sounds in the right area.

    Current plan includes Saturday morning with sidcup cycles a couple of times and woolwich cycling club a couple of Sundays possibly.

    Off topic slightly but I find it quite hard to get to know the folk in the cycling club (I'm a new member still). Seems better in a weird way to get to know a few other people first!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    If you head out via Crystal Palace there is always a steady stream of people heading out over the weekend. Could always pop into Cadence or Cafe St Germain if you want to ask if anyone minds you tagging along. They're common haunts for riders before their ride.
  • al_kidder
    al_kidder Posts: 73
    johngti wrote:
    Al Kidder wrote:
    Just take an mp3 player with you for company. If you can't find a couple of hours a day worth of interesting material you must be very hard to please

    Two hours of music is easy to get - except I wouldn't listen to an MP3 player as I ride and it's still too easy to think "tired today. Sod it" if there's nobody else involved :)

    What is this "music" stuff? You are a teacher? Get some discussion programmes or lectures. Lately, I've been learning about the early middle ages. Free from the Uni of Wisconsin
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Al Kidder wrote:
    johngti wrote:
    Al Kidder wrote:
    Just take an mp3 player with you for company. If you can't find a couple of hours a day worth of interesting material you must be very hard to please

    Two hours of music is easy to get - except I wouldn't listen to an MP3 player as I ride and it's still too easy to think "tired today. Sod it" if there's nobody else involved :)

    What is this "music" stuff? You are a teacher? Get some discussion programmes or lectures. Lately, I've been learning about the early middle ages. Free from the Uni of Wisconsin

    Ha! Thinking about work and improving myself isn't what the bike is for!

    Actually, thinking about it, the time spent commuting is spent thinking about what I need to do for the day...